Back in the Ford

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Wow, I've def. made a few bad financial decions recently. Mainly involving my purchase of a Sprinter. For those of you who are driving a Sprinter w/ success, my hat's off to you & I wish you continued prosperity. For me though, w/ my situation, I made a bad choice in vehicles. At least financially I did.

I blame no one. I'm not mad at anyone or any company. This one is all on me. There comes a time though, when you have to cut your losses.

In a nutshell, what it came down to was I'm working 2 weeks a month to pay for a vehicle that I don't really care for. That leaves 2 working weeks a month for all other bills. If things are slow, like they are now, then it might even be 3 weeks of work to pay for a vehicle. The thing for me became a financial noose.

With my Ford, because the payment/insurance is so much lower, 2-3 days per month is all I'll need to work & then I'll start putting what I make towards my house, food, etc. The gas milage isn't nearly as good, but even then, the gas you need at 16MPG to make $400 (Ford payment/insurance)is less than the amount you'd need at 22MGP to make $1200 (Sprinter). By this I mean I need to drive approx 700 miles to make $400. This will vary some depending on dead miles & such, but that's as close as I can figure here. Anyways, that's 43 gallons of gas at 16mpg. With the Sprinter, I needed to drive 2100 miles to make $1200. That's 95 gallons of gas at 22mpg.

Also, & this is huge, but the stress of slow weeks/months is a lot less if ya know you only have to come up w/ $400 rather than three times that. For that matter, even when I'm working, on say the 13th of a given month, the thought of "I'm still working to make this van payment" would creep in my head & that took away some of the joy in my job.

One thing I happened to do right is switch companies. I'm not doing as well financially as I did at my old company. That's mainly because of my vehicle. I definately like local runs more than over the road. They wanted me to get the Sprinter & I got one. Now that I'm back to my Ford, I'm guessing the finances of each company will be similar & I'll be able to enjoy my life a lot more. Plus, they allow us to get runs from elsewhere. Getting the occasional run w/ a 2nd company might mean things work out even better yet.

I'm guessing so far that I've been a good enough driver for them because when I told em I could no longer afford the Sprinter, they allowed me to start using my Ford again, even though they'd prefer a Sprinter. Part of this might be because I like to work nites, but hopefully some of it is because I'm pretty agreeable to taking runs & have a pretty high acceptance rate.

What I've learned is that at least for me, I will never buy a new vehicle, or any vehicle that you have to work over 3 days/month to pay for it. If I could get a dedicated route that paid $100k year & my vehicle was 2K month, I might expand that limit somewhat, like to a weeks work. Because there would be so much more in the other 3 weeks it would be worth it. But the reality is that's probably not going to happen.

I will be needing a different van next year. Mine is a 2000 model. I won't be buying a new one. That much I know. I've made that mistake once & once is enough. Again, a new van might be the right choice for your situation, so I'm not making judgements on what works for you. I'm simply saying for me it was a very unwise financial decision.

Best of success to you all,
Danny

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Danny, great post!

I could add to it but you covered it very well. Recently a newbee in our company came to me with an opportunity to buy a 6 month old beautiful T-600 great deal, until he has a week like the last two. I am glad he figured out what you did before he plunged into it.

Good luck, you will come accross a great used truck next year I am sure.

PS what are you gona do with the Sprinter? Can you sell it and at least break even or just take a small loss I hope.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
sorry to hear about your sprinter dilema..i drive a 2005 sprinter,bought it new and put some money down...payment is 570.00 a month, but i usually pay 750.00 a month (despise paying interest) times are slow ,but here at panther it is picking up...i did have a couple terrible weeks but they were never under 800.00 averaging 1200 a week right now and cant wait till the season begins again...now have 92424 miles on it with no break downs yet

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I see this time and time again and hopefully your post DannyD will make others more aware of this when buying a truck or van. Many people buying the C and D unit trucks especially see the fancy jobs at the shows and can't resist the temptation of having that real big sleeper and all the other gizmos they put in the sleepers on that real powerful class 8 chassis. Then they realize after buying that unless they are living in the truck 100% of the time or close to it, that $2000+ a month payment and expensive insurance can be a real setback when times get slow and it comes to paying ones other bills they have. Best to look really carefully at what it is you actually need and can afford rather than what you ideally want or desire before signing on the bottom line. Just like in years past the truck lots still get plenty of repos or trucks/vans sold at a loss every year from expediters. Denny

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Glad to see you learned a lesson and shared it. I am also very happy to see you had other options. Many do not have that and simply have to move on.

Raceman
OTR O/O

finney

Expert Expediter
Sorry to hear about your trouble, but what kind of Sprinter were you driving that was costing you $1200/mo? At $1200 a month you could've bought two of 'em.
finney

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Broom,

I'm selling it on consignment right now. My guess is I'll a few thousand. I'll fill ya in w/ the exact amount when the thing sells. So for right now, the noose is still there. Obviously, I hope to get rid of it soon.

Honda,

I'm def. glad you're doing well & I mean that. Not wishing bad things on anyone w/ their vehicle/job/etc. just cuz it didn't work out for me. With the amount of miles you're putting on it, I can see where it would work out pretty close in terms of gas saved vs. higher payment. Plus ya add in the extra room & what have ya & I can see where this thing would be the right choice. I'm drive more local though. Plus I didn't add that I'm back into martial arts & need to call it an early day on Tuesdays & Thursdays and can't start until later on Saturdays. So there's no way I can drive enough miles to get the gas milage savings a Sprinter can offer vs. the higher payment.

Mudd,

Your comments are right on. I guess my one defense was I had to get this to work for this company. While I wish I could have used my own van (the Ford) to start w/, overall I'm glad I switched companies. Kinda strange to be saying that cuz it's so brutal financially, but I really disliked being on the road.

Race,

Thanx for the kind words. In one of those weird quirks, things have ways of working out for the best. Sometimes ya don't know how when you're going thru a bumpy ride, but in the long run I think it'll all be ok.

Finn,

I guess I didn't explain it well enough & that's my fault. The van payment is $750. Insurance is $320 & workmans comp is $170. That comes out to a lil over $1200 (not including gas) that I have to make each month to break even. To make that takes about 2 working weeks. I should have added $170 to my Ford numbers up there, but the idea is the same in that it'll take a lot less time to cover the van payment each month & then I start buying food, paying off my house, & so on.

Good luck to all,
Danny

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd like to add my thanks to you for sharing your experience. We all like to share the good stuff, but would rather keep the misjudgements to ourselves, so I know it wasn't easy for you. Putting it out there, though, might give pause to someone who is ready to go buy that pricey Sprinter, or decked out D unit, but who hasn't got a backup Ford. You were wise to keep the Ford, and, like your sig line says.....
You will be much happier now, I bet. :)