Back home from the road

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Just got back home this morning at 5:00am. Unfortunately I can't afford a laptop quite yet to keep-up with all the discussions while I'm on the road. Left Tulsa last Sun. and drove down to just south east of Little Rock, then up to Columbus,OH and then to Dayton, Cinci, Dallas, and back home to Tulsa. I was under load the entire trip. The only problem now is my auto tranny developed some serious problems while in Dallas rush hour traffic. Low gear is really growling at me. I had to limp it in to Tulsa with a brand new 2005 Infinity QX56 sport ute on my flatbed. I couldn't get over 50-55mph. So I gues the truck goes into the shop on Mon! GRRRRRR!!!

Sure saw ALOT of expediters in OH, KY, and TN. I talked to a few who never heard of EO so I told `em to log on and check it out.

Gotta go to the dealer and kick-off this QX. Back later.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
YIKES!

Well at least you made it back under power instead of on the hook!

I'd make sure after you get that one rebuilt you use synthetic oil in it and install a *big* transmission cooler. Those E4OD trannies are not known for living long under heavy load all the time.

Also make sure the rebuilder puts all the hardened/updated stuff they can in it.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

Owner/Operator Big 'B'
Experienced
10 years auto transport
2 years local/distance expedite
Laurel, MD (Washington DC area)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
All I got my wife for valentines day was flowers. Don't tell Rene' about the Infinity.

Welcome back, Terry

Preacher

Expert Expediter
I'm delivering it to a dealer that I actually uswd to work for. It is black and it is beautiful! It even has a back-up camera that displays on the in-dash GPS screen.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That's life in the rough-tough bang 'em up live on the razor's edge world of expedited trucking Preacher:7
I have seen on many occasions where folks will take an older van or truck that is in good condition and working perfectly fine for them around town, and then when pressed into heavy duty highway service they find out quickly what its condition really is.
The repairs are going to be needed on occasion, no way around it. Some down time should be anticipated even with new vehicles under warranty running the highway.
Plus, its always while you are busy LOL! They never go down when things are slow:)
Take it easy, hope you are back out soon!

-Weave-

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Hey Weave,

Fortunately the treanny is still working so I won't have to have it towed into the shop. I drove it today to drop-off the Infinity and then took it out to where I unhook the trailer. The tranny fluid is still nice and red with no burning smell. First thing Monday it is getting the tranny worked on and synthetic fluids added.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The sound and symptom you describe might just be the torque converter and not the tranny itself. It is best as mentioned to beef the Ford AOD up as much as possible, and add the big cooler if you don't already have one. Every little bit helps with those trannies, they have been noted to be a little troubesome for heavy duty use.
-Weave-

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Thanks Weave. I might look into a stronger aftermarket torque converter rather than stock. I already have a large trans cooler on the truck. I'll check-out other options that will beef-up my Ford tranny. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.