Automatic VS Manual ??

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
Hi,

I've been a professional driver, mainly in TT hauling HHGs/Electronics since like 1984 and of course those trucks were always manual.

My wife and I are considering running team in a straight truck and I wanted to know ( and I know this sounds rediculous)( where the heck is the shifter!!) how hard is it to get used to an automatic trans/auto shift and are there any benefits of an automatic over a stick??

Thanks
Dukesadog
Neptune Beach

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
The shifter,depending on the manufacturer is either on the dash right of the steering wheel or next to the drivers seat. Benefits are, you never have to yell at your wife for missing a shift. This should save you half the house and all your other assets! LOL.. They are quite easy to get use to. No more quessing what gear to be in, and easier to downshift going down hills. Good luck with your automatic life.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
Thanks Glen,

I hope the yelling will be left behind...shes a former sales executive type for radio and TV ads..

yelling will be replaced by Hey! your at the wrong Dock!

Ha

Dukesadog

dirions

Expert Expediter
If you are going to buy a Freightliner, I would suggest the Mercedes AGS transmission. Much cheaper than an Allison, and you have the option of using it in automatic mode or you can shift it manually with your finger. The MBT660-60A will handle a GCW of up to 60,000 pounds.

gt_mustang_gal

Expert Expediter
My husband and I are in a similar situation. I am an accountant & he's a truck owner/operator, but we are thinking of becoming an expediting team (straight truck) and I have INSISTED that we buy an automatic. Otherwise, we would probably strangle each other within the first week! (ha) We have looked at a Sterling at Freightliner of Knoxville that has an automatic transmission.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
Yeah,

We havent purchased a truck yet, although we are friends with Hank Graff in Flint Michigan but of course he doesnt deal with expediter trucks.

We have had some bizarre experiences so far with a couple companies ( dealers) saying we will finance you at this rate but you cant go with this carrier, which I thought was very strange, how are the dealers tied to the actual carrier and why?.

I didnt think that first time buyers with home equity cash would have to jump through hoops. holy Patooties!

We will get there though, thank you for the great advice!

Dukesadog

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got one of the Sterling's from FL Knoxville. The automatic works well. It is much less tiring to drive than a manual and there's never a question of being in the right gear at a turn etc. with it. I'll never go back.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you looking for a good set up i had a 2001 western star
and other friends have had and they feel like i do if it's not a star
it not a truck

and had eaton select auto 10 speed with j brake and it was great
give bill moore a call at 800 388 3850

no matter what get a j brake to as it will help out alot to