Automatic Transmission

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Just a curious question. Those who have an automatic transmission in a straight truck and have the manual over ride do you ever use the over ride? In other words is there any recommended time to switch it to manual. I have been using it more often in congested areas, monitoring my RPMS. Also gives me a sense of control and brings my awareness to things around me to a heightened state. Once I get onto an interstate or divided highway I switch it back to auto. Is this a good thing or should I just leave it in auto?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Allison automatic or auto-shift? I have an auto-shift and I use manual all the time. I'm a control freak.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been using it more often in congested areas, monitoring my RPMS. Also gives me a sense of control and brings my awareness to things around me to a heightened state. Once I get onto an interstate or divided highway I switch it back to auto.
I have never driven an auto-shift in a big truck. If I did I would probably do just the opposite of what you are doing or do the Highway Star thing. I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to driving. I would definitely use manual in rain/snow/icy road conditions.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Auto shift here. I set it in manual 10th hear on the highway, otherwise sometimes it'll down shift climbing a hill and at those speeds I don't want my engine up at 1900rpm.