August in Load One Nation

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turns out my first thought was correct, other then the qc running it down enough not to start. Nothing is wrong other then the first jumper guy who came out needed more power to start this beast. Not happy, let's try this again.

Reactions: ntimevan

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
That sure brings back memories. I loved 8 tracks, except when the track would change in the middle of a song :rolleyes:
I still have an 8 track deck on my stereo system in the living room. Still works fine. How many remember it's predecessor, the 4 track player. Had one of those in the car.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cleaned up the Black Death that covered #2 and #3 injectors and was creeping over #1 and #4. It was a mess. Replaced all 5 injector seals. One of my injectors has failed and wasn't even working. Replaced that injector plus two others that couldn't be saved when pulling them out. Replaced the injector fuel line (the one that snaps onto the top of each injector) because it was leaking fuel at #1 and #5.

Replace the motor mounts. I had an annoying and disturbing shudder when shifting between first and second gear, worse when going uphill (like on an on-ramp and way worse when loaded heavy), almost like rolling over rumble strips, that would start under your feet and work back towards the rear end. That shudder disappeared once the new motor mounts had the engine and drifeshaft properly aligned.

Replaced one of the manifold studs and nuts that kept loosening up (tea kettle whistle at 2000 RPMs when working up through the gears).

Repaired the hole in the oil pan with JB Weld from where the lowrider engine was causing the oil pan to rub the hose bracket for the power steering hose.

He worked on the van until 11PM last night and then finished it up this morning. Total was $792. He saved me two grand, at least.

As I drove away it went into Limp Home Mode. Off and restart, twice, kept coming back, finally with an engine light. Went back and that was tracked down to the Air Intake Temperature Sensor. He probably banged it a little when he was putting on the motor mounts, and broke the little clips that hold it in place. It wasn't firmly seated and held in place and was allowing boost pressure to escape. I happened to have had a spare one of those with me, so that was a really quick and easy fix.

Left again and then noticed a coolant leak. Drip, drip, drip, once every second or two. Went back. It was the C hose from the water pump, the 6 inch hose with a 90 degree bend at each end. That was one of the few hoses that didn't get changed with the water pump last week. $30 for the hose and labor to replace that.

The ride is certainly smoother and the engine is a lot peppier (as you'd expect with no injector leaks and running on all five injectors instead of just 4). All in all, it was a Good Turtle Day.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I'll take a peak at my injectors, it's about time since my last encounter with the plague.

Curious, will you get a warning light or something if one of the injectors is not working? Maybe it's just my imagination, but I keep thinking that I had more power before my injectors got changed out last time.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I had a 74 Buick Apollo. The uncool version of the Nova.
I remember those. Wasn't that bad. I bought it in '72, dropped solid lifters, Corvette racing cam, Eidelbrock manifold, and a Carter high flow 4 barrel carb in it. It moved rather well.....

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Curious, will you get a warning light or something if one of the injectors is not working?
You will not.
There is a special tool for testing them before you even install them. Once installed, the only ways to know if they're working or not is to run the engine for a few seconds and then feel up the injectors and the side of the engine by the injectors to see which ones are hot and which ones are cold, or, use the fancy schmancy high dollar Sprinter Tool and while the engine is running you start disabling and enabling individual injectors. If you disable one and the engine doesn't at least hiccup, really hard, that injector ain't working.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Good morning everyone.
21eddf6eaee408b425eb63b212ee9fc9.jpg

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You will not.
There is a special tool for testing them before you even install them. Once installed, the only ways to know if they're working or not is to run the engine for a few seconds and then feel up the injectors and the side of the engine by the injectors to see which ones are hot and which ones are cold, or, use the fancy schmancy high dollar Sprinter Tool and while the engine is running you start disabling and enabling individual injectors. If you disable one and the engine doesn't at least hiccup, really hard, that injector ain't working.

Hmmm maybe the lack of pep isn't my imagination. With all the dang sensors it has, you would think that would be a rather important one to have. I think I'll have Wayne do a little exploratory surgery next time.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got karma? I wouldn't mind a little of the good stuff.

So far having a week I'd like to forget.

Did something I've never done before.

I get approach by a mother, her sister and two kids in tow 5 & 3 yrs old. Their car is at the gas pump on E (their short story is their trying to get back to Georgia) and of course out of money/food/sleeping in the car.

Normally these days you can't get the change out of my pocket. But I guess I either believed them enough, or just could not do nothing when kids are involved. So I did what I could, I filled their car with gas and wished them a safe trip.

I could run a bunch of, what if, after the fact scenarios, but in the end I just have to hope I did the right thing.