Atkins Diet

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have really found there is a double edged sword out here. When we are running really hard we get no exercise and when it is slow we walk more but then eat our of boredom. We are experimenting with the Atkins diet and so far had pretty good luck. We still have a hard time getting the exercise that we need to but giving up all of the sugar and snacks has really helped. We where just wondering if any one else is trying to maintain this life style?

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
The worst part of Atkins is the first week. After that the sugar cravings are gone and you get the carbs out of your system it's more tolerable. The best thing about Atkins is it's easy. I do find that I feel better and not so sluggish.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I did a 'modified' Atkins type diet for a while and lost weight,BUT had horrible acid with it so had to go off it. Now I just do a lowered calorie, 'high protein', but not as low carb. I've lost about 40 so far. A lil dent, but a lot to go!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,

You grow old because you stop laughing.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Good for you Dreamer! Your 40 beats my 3 by a longshot. Keep up the good work!

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well I have done amd still maintain the Atkins diet. I have lost a total of 100 pounds so far. Still have arond 50 to go to make me happy, but you can't believe how much better I feel.The Atkins diet is not for everyone though. Whoever tries it please make sure you find a very good multivitamin. I have always been a meat person anyway so it was fairly easy for me. Like someone else said once you get past the first 2 weeks it gets better. I have even found that now I have kept the weight off for over 2 yrs I haven't been able to gain any back. I eat quite a bit of carbs now again and still no weight gain. It's like it shocked it out of my system. I know if I want to lose that extra 50 pounds though all I have to do is cut out the carbs competely again and it will work. Good luck to all that try it!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow thanks for your reply!! You are an inspiration. Did you find time to walk every day? I did forget to mention the multi vitamin and that is an important part of this diet. One of the problems with this diet is that it becomes boring. How did you keep yourself motivated to stay on the plan? Please share any more ideas you have on how to make this work for us. I have all ready noticed one huge change. For some reason my ankles had started to swell and even during the night they would not go back down. After being on the diet about 5 days all swelling went down and has not came back. We where able to maintain this diet for over a year last time we where on it and Bob was able to go off of Cholesterol medicine. At his last checkup the cholesterol has starting inching its way back up. So we are sure hoping this plan will get us back in shape again.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well let's see where to start. I did a lot of lunch meats in the fridge. Easy access for snacking and curbing the edge. My hardest thing was the soda's. I switched to using bottled watersd with the Crystal Light single packs in them. Like my fav. was the peach tea, No carbs or calories. A big thing for me too was the rotiserie chickens from the deli area at super Walmarts. I would get 2 or 3 and cut them up and keep them in ziplocs in the fridge and nibble when I had a craving for something. Also I did buffets a lot at the truckstops. At least with them you can fill up on all the meats you can eat he he!
My major excitement actually came from the swelling in my fingers going down. You just don't realize where your weight goes to really. I went from a size 7 and a half ring finger size for my wedding rings to a size 5 in just about 3 months. Since I wasn't sure at the time how the whole thing was going to last I put my wedding rings on my necklace so I wouldn't lose them. After keeping the weight off for a year, my hubby to me to the mall and bought me all new ones to signify my achievement. It even made a dispatcher cry when I told what he did. I still keep the old ones on my necklace as a reminder of what I lost!
I didn't and don't now do hardly any walking, other than normal activity. I am def. not an excersise person at all.

Anyone have any personal questions feel free to e-mail or pm me directly I would be more than glad to answer to the best of my knowledge. Hope it works for any who try, though like I said it is NOT for everyone, so don't get discouraged!

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Wow good post ..I started out At 285 lbs ,and after 2yrs am down to 210.. I started with atkins and found I don not crave the spagetti, tatters or bread that I required at every meal..I since have let a little carbs in but early in the day. I eat a little (5 times a day)..and stay off the heavy dinner .The bottom line ..burn more calories thaqn you take in ..I walk now run ..and have a junprope that i work out in the box.. also did arobic type moves in the front of my bunk (lifting legs and arms) for about 20 min inbetween driver change .. I eat good 80% of the week..and cheat maybe 20% NO SUGAR!!!!! I quit when I dropped the coke pepsi..(kidney stones)
I donot miss it and Im a big choclate, sweet tea drinker I never imagined myself not going without those...BUT YOU CAN DO IT .. i FEEL GREAT I sleep better which makes my drive easier ... YOU CAN DO IT what are your choices? Im not as young but the quality of my life with Gods blessing will be better, (diabetes, high blood pressure ,no energy ...you can e-mail me for mo info Im stoked about it and believe anyone can do it ..SO CAN ALL OF US. WHAT IS OUR CHOICES..

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
sORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST ..you got me going now..Ill try to answer the double edged sword problem with a suggestion that may work for you. small hand weights and the walking in place in front of the bunk really adds more burn to your week (look at it like 20-30 min a day will burn 200 calories x 5 days =1000 extra for the week) plus lessening your calories intake by 200 for 7 days is 1400=2,400 less aweek x 52 weeks = 124800 for the year. I lay down in the bunck.. and pull my knees to my stomach and my arms down (ONE MOTION). In the box I use my load bar to stepp up on for 20 to 30 min..get creative.. JUST KEEP MOVING. I take the steering wheel and sqeeze in while im driving .. ..! ..Picture yourself every day the way you want to look and feel. YOU CAN BUY ALL THE TAPES, PROGRAMS, AND EQUIPMENT YOU CAN STUFF INTO YOUR LIFE BUT YOU CANT BUY MOTIVATION! YOUVE TAKEN THE FIRST STEP.. KEEP GOING ...WHAT YOUR ALLTERNITIVE?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
You all have got me motivated and pumped up to get going again. I've been kind of slacking.. ok.. REALLY slacking..LOL.

Who's up for a weight loss challenge? We can make it a temporary private forum so we don't have to post our private info in open forum.

We could set personal goals, group goals, short and long term, post advice, results, whatever.

Let me know here, or by PM if you would be interested.

[img src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_136.gif"]
[img src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_126.gif"]
[img src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_122.gif"]

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Dale,

Good idea and maybe just the motivation we need! If you get any interest we are for it or if you don't we can do it ourselves. I would also like to include a walking goal in that also. I know that when we are running hard we don't exercise at all but when we are waiting for a load I am not sure what excuse I use at that time. Let me know what you decide.

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
Be sure to also watch the Trans fat and sat fat that will get to your heart, and even quicker for us smokers and non exersizing people.

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG:)

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Wondering where is everybody at with their,healthy life styles in 07.
Its a good thing punpkin pie is seasonal.. Im definatley covered on that one for the next few months. I stayed within 5-7#s and now gotten rid of that..with the help of Walking every morning, and after every big meal..and metamusal.. Fiber good

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
I also seen a guy @ a reciever @ the dock waiting to unload walking around his truck with water bottles in both hands. Perfect hand weights, you can increase size as needed and most of us have them.

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG:)

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
darn right .. the key is to start moving..a doctor said once you cam try all the majic in a bottle all you want but it always boils down to burning more calories than you take in.. i have pics i looked at of me while home at 285 lbs im 5'11' its is un real.. im currently hovering around the 200 205 range my goal is 189..good luck STAY WITH IT IT GETS EASIER what are your choices.. if a clawhopper like me can do it ..you can.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have really been SLACKING!! Set out this year to eat more vegetables and fruit. Less sugar and less at food at meals. Also wanted to get the walking going but as this job goes we have been running really well. We have also been in lots of rain, no snow thank god. I also while driving try to move my legs and do little toe lift exercises. I find that helps my legs and helps keep me alert. I had not thought about doing strength exercises on the steering wheel. Joe Bob please keep up the encouraging words and ideas.

are12

Expert Expediter
This is the 1st time I read through this topic and I am very glad I did. There is alot of good information in here and we will need all of it.

Jim and I decided for 2007 that we were going to diet and quit smoking. Our quit day was Friday (yesterday) and I must admit that Jim is doing much better than I. He has had no cigarettes since Thursday night. I wish I could say the same - I smoked 3 1/2 cigarettes today- which is better than the pack and a half I was smoking every day.

Next is the diet - which we are hoping to start on Monday. Our doctor thinks we should wait a little while but we are terrified of putting on more weight than we already have since getting into expediting. So to me, this topic will be very useful. Feel free to give us as much advice as possible.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good Luck to you guys. Quitting smoking had to be the hardest thing I have ever done in my life! Never again will I go through that so that is my incentive to never start again. I felt like I was giving up my best friend even though the smoking was slowly killing me. Now 10 years later I do not go a single day without thanking god I no longer smoke. Bob did have a easier time of it then I did and had the patience to put up with me and my agony. It does get better and your body will thank you for it as will your pocket book. Worry about the weight after you get over the craving.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A common piece of advice is to keep things like carrot sticks and celery sticks on hand to keep the hands busy.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Another item to keep on hand it sugar free gum. I still chew gum when driving and I need something to do. It has always helped.