At 7:39 this morning

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We would use them again, being the best option. Our issue was kind of a fluke. Many others have used them without issues. They honor their warranty which is one of the better ones.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

stillsprintn

Rookie Expediter
We would use them again, being the best option. Our issue was kind of a fluke. Many others have used them without issues. They honor their warranty which is one of the better ones.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

what was the fluke issue? and how many miles did you get before issues?
a fleet service guy on sprinterforum said he had 20% of the silver star tranny's replaced under warranty, out of something like 15 sprinters.
trying to weigh the risks of warranty issues with silver star.

stillsprintn

Rookie Expediter
Originally Posted by OntarioVanMan
"Turtle has a Silverstar as well.....I got mine from dealer/factory reman...about 3200 out the door..."

hello ontario,
did that include the torque converter?
what about labor costs?
which dealer?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
whoa..lets back up a bit...what year of Sprinter?....how much did dealer quote you?....

Berry Dodge,,,Corsicana Tx

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
stillsprintn, not sure what you did to your latest posts but it makes them very difficult to read. If you leave the font in the default size your posts will be a lot more readable.

stillsprintn

Rookie Expediter
Ontario,
It's an 05 sprinter.

So far, the dealer quotes i've gotten for factory reman (dodge and MB) are running around 4,000 to 5,000 for tranny & tc. labor is another 600 to 920 depending on the dealership. plus taxes.

It wasn't clear if your 3,200 out the door price for a factory/reman, included the torque converter and labor or was it just the tranny.

LDB,
Hope this is a bigger font size....

Deville

Not a Member
I was told that the sprinter van uses the same 5 soeed transmisson that Mercedes uses in several of it's other vehicle's. Can anyone confrim this?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ontario,
It's an 05 sprinter.

So far, the dealer quotes i've gotten for factory reman (dodge and MB) are running around 4,000 to 5,000 for tranny & tc. labor is another 600 to 920 depending on the dealership. plus taxes.

It wasn't clear if your 3,200 out the door price for a factory/reman, included the torque converter and labor or was it just the tranny.

LDB,
Hope this is a bigger font size....

Sorry I apologize...it was $3950 out the door....I remember now cuz I joked they had quoted 4k and came in a few bucks short...that was with the converter and all labour, fluids and taxes...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told that the sprinter van uses the same 5 soeed transmisson that Mercedes uses in several of it's other vehicle's. Can anyone confrim this?

they used to...Mercedes E Class cars........I can't really say about the new models...

Deville

Not a Member
they used to...Mercedes E Class cars........I can't really say about the new models...

Ok, that's what I was told as well. I just picked up a 2008 e-class from an MB dealer in Atlantic city, it came with a 3 year warrenty. I have a friend of mine that works for MB corp in NJ, he knew I was lookin for an e -class & sent me down to AC. He told me about the tranny sharing platform. Mine is a 4matic & the service interval calls for a tranmisson service every 39,000 miles.

I was wondering if the sprinter shared the same interval. I was also wondering of the the tranmisson was too small for the sprinter or too big for the Mercedes. Than I did some quick research, the 5spd trans 4matic trans was also used on the e550 with the v8 & 400 hp. So I guess it's a good all round application & is fairly relaible mileage wise.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, that's what I was told as well. I just picked up a 2008 e-class from an MB dealer in Atlantic city, it came with a 3 year warrenty. I have a friend of mine that works for MB corp in NJ, he knew I was lookin for an e -class & sent me down to AC. He told me about the tranny sharing platform. Mine is a 4matic & the service interval calls for a tranmisson service every 39,000 miles.

I was wondering if the sprinter shared the same interval. I was also wondering of the the tranmisson was too small for the sprinter or too big for the Mercedes. Than I did some quick research, the 5spd trans 4matic trans was also used on the e550 with the v8 & 400 hp. So I guess it's a good all round application & is fairly relaible mileage wise.

50,000 miles is our interval

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Over half million miles not bad at all.

Spring for a NEW heavy duty transmission cooler and lines. Modine, B&M and Hayden have always been the first choices. Bigger is better as long as you dont block airflow for the cooling system the smallest I would run with is an 8"x11"x1.5" Measurements are in inches.

At the verry least replace the factory peice if its an external, If there is no external cooler behind the grille put one in. Dont get cheap and just flush it out trust me, its well worth the extra hundred bucks. Also make sure you are getting a new torque converter allot of shops and even dealerships get lazy and cheap when it comes to a T.C. and cooler systems. Flushing and reusing anything will only destroy the new/reman unit.

Good luck, hopefuly you can enjoy some R&R while down.
Bob Wolf.