Asking for former driver's references

Hector72

Active Expediter
I been looking into the expedite side of trucking and read a job opening posting of a owner who said he has references that he is a good owner,so it got me thinking since we are on a 1099 contract and are independent contract drivers is it okay to ask a fleet owner for driver's references?Why's your comment and input about this?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I been looking into the expedite side of trucking and read a job opening posting of a owner who said he has references that he is a good owner,so it got me thinking since we are on a 1099 contract and are independent contract drivers is it okay to ask a fleet owner for driver's references?Why's your comment and input about this?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. It would be up to them to check with, and then provide the contact info of his references.

However, keep in mind. That owner is not going to give you the contract info of the guy that would not give him a good reference. So while you can ask, I doubt you'll gain any useful information.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If you were going to "contract" with a builder to build you a new home, you'd ask for references from past or current customers...this is no different..id never drive for a owner without talking to current and past drivers...i want to know why the past drivers left....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The designers of this site addressed this issue. If you are looking at ads on EO, there is an area that says vote on this ad and something like view votes. A daily poster here has stated that she was very happy working for Jordon and is happy working for Bruno. She also has related how she was ripped off driving a "never smoked in truck from NY." This is the kind of feedback that the votes were intended for. Driver's that have opinions on former owners should check the ads weekly and comment on these ads. Your name appears on tne vote so you have to be factual. This also should add some creditabity. Also, if the job seeker can figure out PM's he can contact former said driver's privately for more info. I've driven for 3 owners. 2 would give you my name. The guy that I drove for 8 miles and told me "what do you expect, it's an old truck,then told me what he wasn't willing to fix" will never give out my number. You may want to hear a comment or two from me prior to wasting your time with him. Particapation will help reward good owners and help police bad owners.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Isn't asking an owner for references like asking the fox to guard the hen house ? You need to talk to drivers that you seek out. Drivers with a good owner will brag on their owners. Wait until you find a good owner. Jumping into a truck of a bad owner will cost you time and money. It may sour you on expediting. It's a wonderful profession when done right.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
It is a tough job to find the right company and the right fleet owner. You have to seek out a lot of people and a lot of information. Then you have to sort through all of that information to find the real truth. And the good news? After all that, it's still a toss up...lol. It aint easy....but if your determined to succeed, you will. Patience, research and a good reserve fund are all important parts of the equation.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would recommend talking to both current and past drivers. The biggest issue is to do enough research ahead of time in order to ask the right questions. Additionally, what is the reputation of the fleet owner and how long have they been around. One can develop a pretty clear picture with a little effort.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, it is OK to ask a fleet owner for references. Note that most drivers who are with a fleet owner are happy enough with him or her to stay. The unhappy ones leave. The only difference between a happy driver of a fleet owner's truck and an unhappy one is that the fleet owner may not have gotten around to doing to the present driver whatever it was that made the former driver unhappy enough to leave.

Talk to former drivers if you can. If the fleet owner will not give you names of former drivers, the present drivers may when you talk to them.