Areocell Expediter Update

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard back from the GM dealer he said the GVW is 14,200 estimated weight with a 16 foot fiberglass areocell box bulkhead at 4 feet behind cab barn doors He estimates 8,000 lbs. I asked him to get the weight from the body manufacturer as I am figuring an additional 1,000 lbs to outfit the living quarters. I plan on specing it out to handle at least 5,000 lbs even if I have to forgo one or two of the creature comforts within reason. No hotub, movie theater, and bar.

My only hangup is the dealership says I cant get an Allison transmission even with a Diesel. How druable are the 6 speed transmissions. More homework I guess.
I might consider building from a used chasis.

Can anyone from Load one, Panther, Fed Ex, etc let me know if this will pay as a strait truck or if not how much. It will be able to load at a dock plate and carry 6 skids and mininum 5,000 lbs. I want to make sure its worth the investment as Im anticipating close to $50,000 when done.

Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maby westmicher might have some build advice. Ive heard both dood and bad on the six speeds too but thats why Im doing the homework before laying money down.
I do however have a question about the OEM warrentee if I am as busy and crank out 50K to 75K miles do they have any warrantees coverages out there for guys like us that will use up the coverage in three to six months and have at least two years of payment book?
The bigest money question I have is can I have the unit paid off quickly before having to pony up for maintenance?

Or, would I be able to lease somthing like this?, then maintenance is a non issue.

Bob Wolf.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't understand why you want that size vehicle. Between logging and all the reg's you are defeating the purpose. When you get into that size or category your kind of throwing away money. Not many company's will pay you as a straight maybe only Sprinter rates. That being the case your just loosing revenue and loads. If you go over 10GVW you may as well go to a straight truck. They gave you a ball park weight of 8K empty I think it's going to be more like 9K because they use planked wooden flooring in those and that's heavy. I think someone has one of those for sale on the C/Van sale page, I would contact them and see about that stuff. Just my opinion for what its worth.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I would agree. With the fuel cost you will experience, I think a straight truck would actually net you more money. Loads would be easier to obtain as well. I really think the small truck class runs out of appeal & value as soon as the vehicle goes over 10,000 GVW. You MIGHT pick up some dock high only loads with the truck you describe but you HAVE TO HAVE cooperative dispatchers. If they class your vehicle as a $printer type, they will likely pass you over without thinking in favor of straight trucks, for dock high loads. You just can't force breaking dispatch habits. You could build a 10,000 six skid non-dock high truck but it may have the same problem, depending on if your dispatchers actually think.

guido4475

Not a Member
I don't understand why you want that size vehicle. Between logging and all the reg's you are defeating the purpose. When you get into that size or category your kind of throwing away money. Not many company's will pay you as a straight maybe only Sprinter rates. That being the case your just loosing revenue and loads. If you go over 10GVW you may as well go to a straight truck. They gave you a ball park weight of 8K empty I think it's going to be more like 9K because they use planked wooden flooring in those and that's heavy. I think someone has one of those for sale on the C/Van sale page, I would contact them and see about that stuff. Just my opinion for what its worth.

A couple of years back he had one of those at that small expedite expo in Monroe, Mi, by the T/A.Exact same one as shown here. One thing I did not like about it was the floor, which was plywood, ran with the grain direction going side to side.Covered with bedliner material.Maybe it has changed since than.Otherwise, a nice vehicle.The only advantage to this over a straight truck would be lower cost of maintenance.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
A couple of years back he had one of those at that small expedite expo in Monroe, Mi, by the T/A.Exact same one as shown here. One thing I did not like about it was the floor, which was plywood, ran with the grain direction going side to side.Covered with bedliner material.Maybe it has changed since than.Otherwise, a nice vehicle.The only advantage to this over a straight truck would be lower cost of maintenance.

I think I remember that one. The one's I've seen have had planked flooring, I think maybe they upgraded them or maybe it's an option. I looked into doing the same thing several years back but I couldn't get the numbers to work out. Glad I didn't. To me just the log books are enough to stop me. Having to keep track of logs as well as all the other garbage is enough.