Are You Enjoying Your Sprinter ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree 15 to 18 mpg is unacceptable. I'm getting 15 t0 16 at 70mph. 18 at 60mph. I don't like to drive under 60 mph on an Interstate highway.
Mercedes can't find anything wrong and tells me that mpg is not guaranteed.

Are you doing the calculation by hand...a friend of mine was getting the same MPGs...he only used the onboard computer....turns out they are NOT exact....here he thought he was getting 17-18 and he was closer to 20mpgs...
and remember your speedometer is off by about 3 MPH..if you do 70 by the needle you are actually doing 66-67.mph

Just trying to help you find that extra mileage...;)

and what tire pressure you at?

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Are you doing the calculation by hand...a friend of mine was getting the same MPGs...he only used the onboard computer....turns out they are NOT exact....here he thought he was getting 17-18 and he was closer to 20mpgs...
and remember your speedometer is off by about 3 MPH..if you do 70 by the needle you are actually doing 73-74.mph

Just trying to help you find that extra mileage...;)

and what tire pressure you at?

The speedometer is off, but in the other direction. If the needle shows 70 he is actually doing 67 or thereabouts.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I do calculate my mpg by hand. I have done that for every tankful since I started driving over the road 36 years ago. As far as the speedometer goes my Sprinter is strange. The needle on the dial speedometer is off by 2 to 3 mph but I have the buttons on the steering wheel and that comes with a digital speedometer in the display in the center of the dash. For some reason that speedometer is accurate. To check my speedometer I go a steady pace on the Interstate in Ohio and time myself using the markers they have painted on the road for airplanes to check your speed. They usually have 4 in a row placed a quarter of a mile apart.
Using D=TxR I know that at 60 mph it takes 6o seconds to travel the mile, at 65mph it takes 55.38 seconds, at 70mph it takes 51.42 seconds, and at 75 mph it takes 48 seconds. At 18,000 mph( the average speed that the Space Shuttle orbited the Earth) it takes 2 tenths of a second to go one mile. At the speed of light it takes 5.37 millionths of a second. Considering that the Sprinter is governed at approximately at 8.26 millionths of the speed of light we won't have to concern ourself with this last calculation.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Sprinter speedometer glitch is a problem with the computer. GPS units (and the Scangauge II) will show a more accurate speedometer reading. It's off on the Sprinter, but it'll be accurate if you use the 15" wheels. However, if you use the 15" wheels, the odometer will then be off. It will show you having traveled more miles than you actually did. It'll show 525,000 miles, when in reality you only drove 500,000.