Are we out of a job?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In journalism, when a headline is in the form of a "yes/no" question, "no" is almost always the correct answer.

I'm the case of Nuro home delivery, it doesn't really compete with expediting any more than DoorDash does.

Reactions: Grizzly

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yet...

Remember I'm a part time local driver. I like my $1000 150 mile days, and a little sweat is probably good for me.

A blind lobotomized chimp could drive better than Massachusetts commuters tho. Pretty low bar

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Correct me if I'm wrong but won't this tech be limited from full scale implementation by needed infrastructure improvements?

Anyone got a few $trillion$ laying around?

Reactions: brokcanadian

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Correct me if I'm wrong but won't this tech be limited from full scale implementation by needed infrastructure improvements?

Anyone got a few $trillion$ laying around?
Yup! While "lane departure" warning systems on newer cars is not the same as used on driverless cars I have noticed that it can't "read" white lines on a wet road? How can the technology handle that stretch on newly repaved road with the sign that says " no lane markings next 15 miles"?

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I really wouldn’t worry about that so much and worry about the Eastern Europeans running the rates into the sewers.

That's been happening for years ... and they ain't the only ones.
Why worry? What can be done about it?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I really wouldn’t worry about that so much and worry about the Eastern Europeans running the rates into the sewers.
I'm with Da' Grizz' - and to quote my alter ego " What, me worry?". Approaching my 6th year at this, so I don't have a time when this was a highly profitable endeavor to compare to. We tend to blame foreigners, (Damn Kanadians), but they are actually a small, but growing, part of our labor force. No, this industry is full of good ole' 'Mericans. I spent 33 years selling machine shop supplies followed by 14 years selling TT tires & service. In each case I saw the products I sold go from valued items to become commodities, at which point competition increased and profits decreased. For many reasons, the internet being a big one, Expediting is no longer a valued service, it is a commodity that can be sourced with a stroke of a keyboard. It won't get better and newer technology will make it more profitable for everyone in the supply chain, EXCEPT the very end of the chain - us.

Reactions: ntimevan and Ragman

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's been happening for years ... and they ain't the only ones.
Why worry? What can be done about it?
I'm with Da' Grizz' - and to quote my alter ego " What, me worry?". Approaching my 6th year at this, so I don't have a time when this was a highly profitable endeavor to compare to. We tend to blame foreigners, (Damn Kanadians), but they are actually a small, but growing, part of our labor force. No, this industry is full of good ole' 'Mericans. I spent 33 years selling machine shop supplies followed by 14 years selling TT tires & service. In each case I saw the products I sold go from valued items to become commodities, at which point competition increased and profits decreased. For many reasons, the internet being a big one, Expediting is no longer a valued service, it is a commodity that can be sourced with a stroke of a keyboard. It won't get better and newer technology will make it more profitable for everyone in the supply chain, EXCEPT the very end of the chain - us.

I know what you guys are saying. This has been going on for at least 10 yrs and each year the rates are getting worse. I can’t run for .48/mi when my cost to run my vehicle is .45/mi. I may have to try something different to circumvent the cost.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know what you guys are saying. This has been going on for at least 10 yrs and each year the rates are getting worse. I can’t run for .48/mi when my cost to run my vehicle is .45/mi. I may have to try something different to circumvent the cost.

It's your vehicle, you pay for insurance.
Find a way to make more per mi ...

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
One thing to keep in mind with self driving vehicles, they will require pre planning for their deliveries. It's not the same as oh :censoredsign: we forgot to send these 2 pallets we need someone to take them right now, or oh no this machine broke we need a replacement part asap, etc.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing to keep in mind with self driving vehicles, they will require pre planning for their deliveries. It's not the same as oh :censoredsign: we forgot to send these 2 pallets we need someone to take them right now, or oh no this machine broke we need a replacement part asap, etc.
I forsee a time where there will be designated parking for these (like the lots you see trailers stacked up in - probably those same lots) and they will simply dispatch the closest driverless truck on demand.

When? No idea. That delivery van has a top speed of 25 mph, so it may be a WHILE lol

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I forsee a time where there will be designated parking for these (like the lots you see trailers stacked up in - probably those same lots) and they will simply dispatch the closest driverless truck on demand.

When? No idea. That delivery van has a top speed of 25 mph, so it may be a WHILE lol

And when that happens, who is going to own all these vehicles to create this huge conglomerate of self driving vehicles located everywhere? Will it be the same deal as now where a company owns so many trucks and they bid on loads to send the truck to? How much will the trucks stops charge to rent their parking spaces being that they no longer have human customers buying their overpriced captive audience :censoredsign:? How is this all going to work?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And when that happens, who is going to own all these vehicles to create this huge conglomerate of self driving vehicles located everywhere? Will it be the same deal as now where a company owns so many trucks and they bid on loads to send the truck to? How much will the trucks stops charge to rent their parking spaces being that they no longer have human customers buying their overpriced captive audience :censoredsign:? How is this all going to work?
Well, truck stops will be "travel centers" and cater to those on long trips, their new captive audience will be those charging their electric cars and needing something to do for an hour.

I don't think those delivery trucks will be staying in the truck stops. They'll be staying in their corporate owner lots. I know there's one for my company in every major city in Canada.

And yeah, the company I work for is worth $4 billion so they can probably afford a few self driving vehicles. Quarterly revenue is close to $500 million so I think the 4 billion valuation is a little outdated. Not to mention the savings from not needing drivers anymore. Point being, they're going to buy up the supply of self drivers before somebody like me gets a chance.

The dream of every logistics company (not dealing with the likes of me) is within sight.

Still; 5 years away? 10 years? More?

No idea. I am going to start socking away money and working more than I normally would. I even took on debt last year, with family being sick cutting into my earnings - debt will have to go too.

"May you live in interesting times" (ancient Chinese curse)