Are Cargo Vans profitable?

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I can say I would not have wanted to go into any part of the cutthroat and saturated expedite cargo van/sprinter segment without knowing what I knew from general freight, and the possibility to go back if it didn't pan out....luckily for me, so far, I have done well enough, for now, to be able to enjoy what I am doing, and not be broke...yet. But, even being lucky, I also have asked a kazillion questions, read most if not every thread on this site, drawn on my 20 or so years in tranportation, and also generated a good relationship with my operations people. I take calculated risks on moving based on knowing what I know, and even then there are days where I would go back to tractor trailer work. If i didn't have the 20 years prior to my almost 2 in expedite, I don't think I would have nearly the info I needed or experience to stay afloat in expedite now...thankful for getting a decent company that happened to make decent business decisions and keep me moving satisfactorily...not exceptional, but meets my needs for now.

BoogiedownBronnx

New Recruit
Researching
I can say I would not have wanted to go into any part of the cutthroat and saturated expedite cargo van/sprinter segment without knowing what I knew from general freight, and the possibility to go back if it didn't pan out....luckily for me, so far, I have done well enough, for now, to be able to enjoy what I am doing, and not be broke...yet. But, even being lucky, I also have asked a kazillion questions, read most if not every thread on this site, drawn on my 20 or so years in tranportation, and also generated a good relationship with my operations people. I take calculated risks on moving based on knowing what I know, and even then there are days where I would go back to tractor trailer work. If i didn't have the 20 years prior to my almost 2 in expedite, I don't think I would have nearly the info I needed or experience to stay afloat in expedite now...thankful for getting a decent company that happened to make decent business decisions and keep me moving satisfactorily...not exceptional, but meets my needs for now.

Akkshole, Thank You! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment... Hopefully I'll have a smidge of that same luck with my first company, and gain valuable experience.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
BX, I did the same thing. I had a CDL-B and went to the Experditing. Just to try it, so I would not have to pay for school or sign on for a year with a carrier.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Also you can contact companies on here and see if they will share how many fleet owners they have for vans. Maybe / maybe not?