Are Cargo Vans profitable?

BoogiedownBronnx

New Recruit
Researching
I'm new to expediting, I'm FedEx CC, and Panther approved. My first choice would be to drive a straight truck, but since I can't afford my own truck just yet, I'd have to dive teams... I'm not too crazy about sharing such a small space with a stranger, so I'm considering going with a fleet owner that has cargo vans. Are cargo vans profitable? I'd greatly appreciate any, and all honest advice, Thank You. ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cargo vans can be profitable, as long as you own it and don't let anyone else drive it. Splitting cargo van revenue between an owner and a driver is probably the least profitable way to be in this business.

BoogiedownBronnx

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for the information.. Unfortunately TST doesn't hire from my area, which is the wall I keep running into. Most companies I contact don't hire out of South Florida... I'll keep that in mind Turtle.

Reactions: ttruck

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It really doesn't matter where you are from. Call anyway.
An expedite carrier shouldn't care where you live, they even lease with people that live in Michigan. A fleet owner looking to pair a team might consider a south Florida resident a potential problem due to home time. Like Ragman said, call around.

BoogiedownBronnx

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks Ragman! I'm not giving up yet... Although, it's very discouraging, because I keep running into the same thing "Sorry we don't hire from that far south"... Hopefully I'll catch a break eventually.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
where in south fl do you live, check out ceva they will be out by airport if they are in your area
if they are you want to speak to op dispatcher
if you need a sprinter we have them in stock

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are a couple of O/O on this site in Florida looking for team driver. Go to the drivers/team drivers wanted. They are with Fed-Ex CC.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
they have a station there in the area out by air port

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cargo vans can be profitable, as long as you own it and don't let anyone else drive it. Splitting cargo van revenue between an owner and a driver is probably the least profitable way to be in this business.

I don't see how it is the least profitable way to make money. Using the rule of thirds; the driver gets 2/3's of the income, while the owner gets 1/3. The driver pays for fuel out of his 2/3's, which leaves him with 1/3 left over of pure profit. The owner spends his 1/3 in income on the truck payment, insurance, and maintenance. I see the driver of a fleet owners cargo van as the one who makes all of the money. You get sixty percent of 80-90 cpm, which s 48 to 54 cents per mile. Then you pay maybe 15 cpm for fuel and pocket 35 cpm. The owner also pockets 35 cpm. The driver is actually pocketing the 1/3 that would be what he would be paying himself if he owned the van himself. I see the cargo van fleet owner as the one who is losing all of the profit and trying to take profit from the 1/3 that is supposed to go to the van payment, insurance, and maintenance fund! I may be wrong, but it looks like there is some money to be made in a cargo van!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't see how it is the least profitable way to make money. Using the rule of thirds; the driver gets 2/3's of the income, while the owner gets 1/3. The driver pays for fuel out of his 2/3's, which leaves him with 1/3 left over of pure profit. The owner spends his 1/3 in income on the truck payment, insurance, and maintenance. I see the driver of a fleet owners cargo van as the one who makes all of the money. You get sixty percent of 80-90 cpm, which s 48 to 54 cents per mile. Then you pay maybe 15 cpm for fuel and pocket 35 cpm. The owner also pockets 35 cpm. The driver is actually pocketing the 1/3 that would be what he would be paying himself if he owned the van himself. I see the cargo van fleet owner as the one who is losing all of the profit and trying to take profit from the 1/3 that is supposed to go to the van payment, insurance, and maintenance fund! I may be wrong, but it looks like there is some money to be made in a cargo van!
Yeah, I get all that. I never said cargo vans aren't profitable. In fact, the first 5 words of my post said the exact opposite of that. All I said was, splitting cargo van revenue between an owner and a driver is probably the least profitable way to be in this business. I didn't say it definitely, is, I said it probably is, because I know some straights and tractors who aren't running profitable at all.

But let's say you have a 250 mile load that pays 90 cents a mile, so $225. The owner gets 40% at $90, and the driver gets 60% at $135. Out of that comes the 15 cents per mile for fuel, or $37.50, which leaves the driver with $97.50. Let's say the owner's CPM is 20 cents. leaving the owner in reality only 16 cents per mile, or $40.

The same load in a straight truck at a straight truck rate or a tractor at a tractor rate will yield more money and thus be more profitable for the driver. And if you owned the van, there's no way you can convince me that not pocketing that $40 net the owner gets is more profitable than pocketing it yourself.

And using the same numbers for a 1500 mile week, the owner nets $270 and the driver pockets $585 after fuel. If you owned the van, instead of $585 it's $855. While both figures are certainly profitable, one is more least profitable than the other.

And another point, if you're driving that van for an owner, you may be tempted to turn down a short load like that to wait for a 500 miler, but if you own the van then netting the $137.50 makes the short load more profitable. Panther is overloaded with cargo vans for that very reason.

Reactions: Tim Xpedites

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My point would be it doesn't matter if You are in a Semi , Str-8 , Sprinter or Cargo van ... if the COMPANY your leased to isn't running you (loads) then your Not making money ... whether its 100% or 40% of the pie .... Consider the Company first .... then run as O/OP or as a driver ...... just My thinking..

BoogiedownBronnx

New Recruit
Researching
Great point Turtle... I'm looking to make the most I can as a beginner, who eventually wants to become an O/O. Honestly the ONLY reason I'm even considering a cargo van is due to the fact that I'd have the opportunity to work solo, as ALL the fleet owners that I've contacted thus far ONLY want teams in their Straights. I conundrum is either bite the bullet and deal with teaming, or settle for less in a cargo van... I really appreciate your input, Thank You!

BoogiedownBronnx

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks intimevan, that's the hardest part, for someone such as my self a total green horn... Finding that right situation to jump into...I expect that nothing will be perfect, and that it's going to be hit, and miss before I find the ideal situation... Appreciate the input, Thank You!

Reactions: ntimevan