APU Questions

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My APU quit again, even after the 1K I spent fixing it.

Two questions

1. There was a driver who put a used RigMaster on from a place in IL. I was wondering how that was working out? Does it do the job in the heat? Any Problems?

2. Has anyone had any experience with the HP2000? It reads good, was wondering if anyone is using it. If so, reports?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
1. No idea about a place in IL. I bought a used Rigmaster from Heyl Trucking in IA off ebay. We had it installed by Don Bentz' crew, and finish install by Ray at Espar of Michigan. Had a few minor problems, but we ended up selling that truck.

2. What problem is your Carrier having? Ours has probably similar hours as yours, and ours is almost trouble-free. We maintain on same schedule as our truck (truck pm, apu pm at same time).

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Smith Trucking's chrome shop is selling used Rigmasters in Remington,In.
I heard that Smith bought into some APU company.
If you want a Rigmaster see Sundance at Big Rig in New Braunfals,Tx or their sister shop in Gretna, NE. They are Rigmaster's largest dealer and do a great install and even have a secret tip or two others don't know about. I think they are $7950 installed and they do it within 8 hours. It was my first choice do to previous experience with Rigmaster and Big Rig. I had an exhaust pipe in the way. That's the reason why I didn't put a Rigmaster on my truck.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
exhaust pipes are easy to move. dont know about a place in il. but has said big rig in new braunfels, tx. exit 182. not only do they have new but they have used and reconditioned also. prices are good on the used and reconditioned ones.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
1. No idea about a place in IL. I bought a used Rigmaster from Heyl Trucking in IA off ebay. We had it installed by Don Bentz' crew, and finish install by Ray at Espar of Michigan. Had a few minor problems, but we ended up selling that truck.

2. What problem is your Carrier having? Ours has probably similar hours as yours, and ours is almost trouble-free. We maintain on same schedule as our truck (truck pm, apu pm at same time).

The ProHeat has never worked well from day one. The problem we are having now is over heating, very bad over heating. There was a leak from the oil pressure switch, blew out all the oil, and then it shut off, only after it had turned what oil was left into goo. It is also using a lot of coolant. Had it cleaned, replaced the switch, repaired coolant leak, replaced fuel filters. It ran great. Checked oil on a regular basis. NO problems. After about a week since the repair I went out to check the oil again. GONE. Just some goo. Can't even put any in, fill pipe blocked with goo. Using coolant again. A LOT of coolant. 1.5 gallons over that night. Found the problem when I checked the oil etc in the morning.

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I am new about this. I did use an apu in the big rig. I loved it being able to have your heater or cool A/C. Now I want a sprinter van so where would you put it. Should I keep it from where I sleep but in with the load it could be damage. Those of you who done this what was the answer. I seen pictures of the Sprinter and there is hardly no room with the engine. Thanks from Linda and Micheal

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am new about this. I did use an apu in the big rig. I loved it being able to have your heater or cool A/C. Now I want a sprinter van so where would you put it. Should I keep it from where I sleep but in with the load it could be damage. Those of you who done this what was the answer. I seen pictures of the Sprinter and there is hardly no room with the engine. Thanks from Linda and Micheal

I have seen sprinters with a generator mounting on a rack on the front. I am not aware of any sprinter with a true APU on it but I could very well be wrong on that one. Maybe one of the sprinter people can help out here?