Aptitude test for potential expediters ?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I once read of an aptitude test many employers give applicants that tells whether they would be accident prone or have other problems that would cause the employer to reject their application . It seems like if someone could come up with this type of test for expediting companies to use it would help them find more suitable applicants . I know the trucking industry as a whole has a driver shortage and it's really the insurers that set the standard for drivers . I think expediting companies ( except ALL Types ) try to set a higher standard for applicants but there are still too many o/o's that get into expediting and fail .

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you hit it on the head. As long as there is a driver shortage, this will get worse. I think we are seeing already in the common carrier sector. Several large carriers are going to foreign labor to put drivers in their trucks. Many of these drivers are currently underqualified but they don't seem to care. Future lawsuits when they kill someone might change that. Next time you are in the border towns, look at Schnieder, JB, and Celedon. These folks supposedly have CDL's yet most can't speak a word of english.

Since many can't read or write what do they do when they approach a sign that says ROAD CLOSED ?
Davekc
owner
20 years

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
There was and or is a recruiting company out of Nebraska that specializes in finding the right people for different kind of jobs... They have an unbelievable battery of tests and interviews that a person goes through to get hired.

How they work is that they will go to the industry in question and find the best of the best for that industry...they then spend unbelievable in depth interviews and tests with the individuals to find what type of character makeup etc. that they might find as a common thread in this small group.

They then use this criteria when they seek out applicants.

An example of how it works they interviewed minor league and college hockey players for the Minnesota Northstars when they started their club as an expansion team...

They first interviewed pro athletes and not just any pro athletes but the ones that were the most outstanding in their field. After weeks of extensive interviews and after they had gotten the trust of each individual athlete...(all interviews were done individually and not as a group) a common thread appeared but it was one that each athlete found difficult to discuss.

It was this...that they each had such a high level of concentration that they were actually perceiving events that were happening in the varoius sports in slow motion... Lynn Swan would nod to the quarterback who would in turn nod at him and release the ball..they would both watch it spiral in slow motion (each could count the rotation of the ball and see the laces as it slowly turned) at just the right time Lynn would slowly jump and gracefully pull the ball in...

While all of this seemed to take minutes for them it happens in split seconds for us...They say there is no noise on the field and many athletes say how they can talk to each other out there like there was no one else around. This phenomenon supposedly happens in all sports to the gifted athletes...Wayne Gretsky supposedly sees his moves ten moves ahead so that when he's going down the ice he knows way in advance the different faints etc that he is going to do and the effect it is going to have on his opponent.

I was at an awards dinner and was seated at the table with Joe Theisman and had the opportunity to ask him about this and he said that absolutely that's how it is.

So anyway when this company was out interviewing potential players for the Northstars this is what they were looking for. I can't tell you the stats but supposedly the Northstars had a lot of no name players their first year and they did incredibly well.

I have some other stories about the company but this is probably too long as it is.

wannabee expediter
otr tt driver 3 yrs
numerous other non related jobs

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I have to start off by saying that yes, I was a HUGE Northstars fan, it hasn't been the same since the move. Now that I have that out of my system.....
What would be the most beneficial test for potential expediters would be a standardized "patience" test. I have seen a lot of drivers and owner / operators with limitless potential just fizzle out and fade away because they had no patience. We work in the "emergency freight" industry, and sometimes there's a little time between emergencies. Patience is a make or break issue in expediting - if you don't have any, this business will drive you crazy.
Thanks - Scott

"My Old Ride"
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/images/scott_han_sig_file.jpg

Questions About Express-1?
Call me 1-800-800-5161

-----------------------------------------