April Showers , Locations & More

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Off to a slow start out of the gate this week but a pleasant 800+ overnight run to California. I'll have to put a flower in my hair because we're headed to San Francisco.

No cheerleading, just happy for me

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

I could get you a free night at my daughter's AirBnB outside of Yosemite, but you would have to take me with you.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Trick actually wanted 50mph, but because of Watergate (then still in progress), Congress wouldn’t give him what he wanted. They passed the 55. It was supposed to be in effect for only a year or so, but because road deaths declined it ended up getting baked in. It took 13 years to get rid of it.

Imagine me driving a 5 ton at 50 mph...id be rakin in the dough from fuel savings...if I didn't get shot

Reactions: ntimevan

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe the enemy isn't the van, but the carrier you are leased to?
There's that, but other than volume of business, can I really complain about $1.06 usd a mile ++?

Found out the insurance on a 5 ton costs the same I'm paying from a buddy. Tell me 10 skids won't pay more than 3...as a true independent....

Edit: you think rates are bad now...watch me take 10 skids at 0.50c a mile each skid...muhahaaa...

Reactions: Solar and RoadTime

guido4475

Not a Member
There's that, but other than volume of business, can I really complain about $1.06 usd a mile ++?

Found out the insurance on a 5 ton costs the same I'm paying from a buddy. Tell me 10 skids won't pay more than 3...as a true independent....

Edit: you think rates are bad now...watch me take 10 skids at 0.50c a mile each skid...muhahaaa...

Good morning! I have found out through years of experience its not always the weight or size of a load that always dictates the rates. I used to think like you when I owned my 10 wheeler. What a rude awakening I was in for. Countless times I have hauled a 10 pound box, 3- 5 gallon buckets of paint, a prosthetic arm, a dead body, etc, for a pretty good distance that paid as much as, if not more than a straight. But also keep in mind how much money out of that pay per mile you will keep in a van versus a straight. I had a straight tell me that he averages around $1.44 a loaded mile. How accurate that is, I dont know, but that is not that great of a difference in my opinion to justify the higher ownership costs, rules, regulations, etc that a straight has. But, a van is not for everyone, either.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I forgot you did that.

We're the first to suffer in a van. With a larger truck, I can go from local freight schlepper to expedite to ltl every load. I could even load the damn thing with 10 uship motorcycles and go sightseeing.

Van, I can be an underpaid slave working in pouring rain, simmering heat and piles of snow (courier) or sit on my ass and wait for freight according to how the economy is this month (expedite)

Flexibility is probably what I'm looking for. With a van, I bring the smallest box to the table...

Anyway TIMMINS WOOHOO!!! Got a true emergency run. Gotta build that fuel fund for the 5 ton :D

(Haven't been that far north since I was 17 with my first big job. Gonna skip the underage drinking and massive hangover this time :dead::laughing:)

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Checking the map, a half hour farther and the roads END lol you're flying

That's pretty far north

Anyone in the area for a meetup? :tearsofjoy:

guido4475

Not a Member
If that's the case, I also need a new carrier. My numbers are pathetic :vomit:

Well, as bad as this week has been, I'm not at the point of defecting yet. But I am disappointed. Not at the lack of load offers, which have been plentiful, but at some of the rates for those. In addition, I also want to be home for the Easter weekend, so that is limiting my availability as well. But the lack of local runs is surprising to me. So, because of this whatever we want to call it, my Easter week home will be minimal.