Apple says it's slowing down older iPhones

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
They're slowing things down alright....slowing down the time it takes for you to buy their newest $1000 dollar model.

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
iPhone IV ?
Do you expect your your 7 year old TV to perform like modern TVs ?

Open up that wallet occasionally.
Enjoy a full hotdog....

IDK, I'm still using my first smart phone 5C. Can't see upgrading till it dies or can't update. It does everything I need it to. Can't really justify the cost just to have the newest phone...unless I get it for free ;).
Besides 95% of everything I do is on my tablet now anyways.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
These companies are always updating the programming code (software) of there devices to run more efficiently. After a while, the physical computer parts in your phone (hardware) cant keep up. So they slow naturally from this. Thats why eventually you can only upgrade to a certain version of the software updates they do. And now on top of that they are making them even slower deliberately to "save the battery life" aka, get the people who dont give a :censoredsign: about the new software updates a reason to buy the new phone.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
iPhone IV ?

Enjoy a full hotdog....

IDK, I'm still using my first smart phone 5C. Can't see upgrading till it dies or can't update. It does everything I need it to. Can't really justify the cost just to have the newest phone...unless I get it for free ;).
you already cant update the iphone 5c past iOS 9.something i think. definitely not to the current 11. but if you arent really a tech guy trying to push your phone to its capabilities, this shouldn't really matter until a few more updates that leave your phone slow as hell even for simple apps.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
iPhone IV ?

Enjoy a full hotdog....

you already cant update the iphone 5c past iOS 9.something i think. definitely not to the current 11. but if you arent really a tech guy trying to push your phone to its capabilities, this shouldn't really matter until a few more updates that leave your phone slow as hell even for simple apps.

Interesting, after looking it up, I didn't know my phone got the axe this year :rolleyes:
Will have to see how this plays out. BTW I'm at 10.3 right now.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It’s a phone.
It makes and receives calls.
That’s all you need.
Pictures , buy a camera.
Apps, buy a tablet.
Gamer, quit wasting your time and learn how to make more money.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
It’s a phone.
It makes and receives calls.
That’s all you need.
Pictures , buy a camera.
Apps, buy a tablet.
Gamer, quit wasting your time and learn how to make more money.
Dont get it wrong, a tablet is nothing more than a bigger screened smart phone. If you have the intention of using apps, having a smart phone and tablet is pretty redundant. And why someone would want to go through all the hassle of having a seperate camera to take pictures instead of it built into there phone is beside me. I do agree with you about gaming though.

Reactions: Grizzly

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
iPhone IV ?

Enjoy a full hotdog....

Interesting, after looking it up, I didn't know my phone got the axe this year :rolleyes:
Will have to see how this plays out. BTW I'm at 10.3 right now.
Youll be fine for a while, especially doing most of your app usage from your tablet (which falls victim to the updates as well). I kept my iphone 4 up until around the 7s or whatever it was called came out. At that time simple things like my weather app that i needed for this job were taking like 5 minutes to load, then i would zoom out, another 3 minutes to load that, etc....so i kinda had to upgrade at that point.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
I have a iphone 4. It won't upgrade so I'm unable to download any apps. Anybody have same problem? Took it to verizon store and they confirmed. Only way to download apps is to purchase new phone.

iPhone IV ?

Enjoy a full hotdog....

Took me 15 years to jump from my Alltel flip phone to an iphone!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a iphone 4. It won't upgrade so I'm unable to download any apps. Anybody have same problem? Took it to verizon store and they confirmed. Only way to download apps is to purchase new phone.
yeah we have an old 4...just for back up...new apps won't work

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I ordered a new battery for my iPhone 6.
Late March /early April for arrival. They’ll hold it at tha Apple Store for 7 days.