Anyone use a Garmin 340 GPS?

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
I use a 360, not too much different as far as software goes, I think. Pros... when it works good, wow! its great.
Cons.. doesn't accept zip code search, needs updated maps.

TinInTheWind

Expert Expediter
Thanks for responding to the question. I have just purchased a GPS on eBay for my laptop. I was able to get it at a good price & several posts indicated the laptop has several advantages. Since I am getting old maybe that will be a plus for me. Thanks again for responding to my question.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I have the 340 and wouldn't leave home without it. It works better than two differnt Magellin model previously owned.

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
I have the 330 and it works great... The only down fall i have found in it is if its a new road like less thean a yr old it has problems finding it but so since i have been doing this i have found things with no problems

TinInTheWind

Expert Expediter
Thanks for responding to the question. I have just
>purchased a GPS on eBay for my laptop. I was able to get it
>at a good price & several posts indicated the laptop has
>several advantages. :+

The GPS I purchased on eBay would not attach to my laptop due to not having the appropriate serial port. At Radio Shack I purchased an adapter that cost more than the GPS! Guess what? It did not work. I just bit the bullet & purchased a Garman Streetpilot 340 at Best Buy at a discounted price.

I have been expediting since May 31st & the Streetpilot is all that I could wish for. It had the 2006 maps already loaded. I did not purchase the 2007 maps for it because I felt the odds of the 2007 maps being that advanced were not worth it.

Since May 31st I have traveled approximately 10,000 miles to include Canada. I have not had time to download the manual for the Streetpilot so Canada was a new experience for me & the Streetpilot but I survived it ok.

To you other newbies that are looking for a cheap GPS! Forget it & purchase a new one so you can Put The Tin In The Wind & pay for the vehicle.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Everything with modern Tech. is gona have some draw back. These little Marvels ARE GREAT. Wana find a Mechanic, just enter it, bingo it pops up with address and phone #.

Same for a Hotel/Motel
Restaurants, all kinds classified for you, Italian, American Dinners etc... Phone #s everything. Great for finding that Dunkin Dognuts, and calling at 2AM to make sure they are a 24 facility before exiting freeway.

Some draw backs, but ya know who are what is perfect?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
terry what magellian models did you have? my son works at radio shack and can get either for me at a substantial savings.

i read an article a while back from the ap comparing a garmin, magellian and gps for laptop. in the article it was said that all of these manufacturers use the same basic gps info from one source.

thanks

Jack Berry