Anyone out there letting O/O's bid their own loads?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are a lot factors that go into that,
Where are you, (Laredo or Detroit)
What kind of week have you had, ( no loads or running like a dog)
Are you getting calls with load offers, ( or are you checking to see phone works)
What day of the week is it ( Thursday, or Sunday)
Have you been there before, but the most important, What does your gut tell you?
As my best friend tells me all the time " think long think wrong"
Sorry I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but their is no one size fits all template for this business
Is it the end of the month or beginning?
end of a quarter or beginning?
is your dispatch in transition? aka hiring and training newbees?
how many units in that area and how competitive are they?

the beat goes on.....this business is anything but stable and reliable...

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
It can vary greatly. The other day I waited a day and a half. I've also been predispatched with a load waiting for me as soon as I delivered. I've also waited a week or more. I think 10 days is the longest I've waited. You can sit down there for a week and get a load going to Michigan and that's not a bad week. You can deliver down there, get some sleep, and then head to Memphis, sit there for 2 days, then get a load going to Nashville, and end up with a really crappy week.
it happens to the big guys too

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I've waited anywhere from 1 day to a week....
Keep in mind the load you get out will probably be significient miles to equal 1 weeks pay or close to it...
also think it'll probably be 1 load equal to close to 1500 miles so you'll run 1 load instead of 3 - 500 mile loads.
this just depends on who you are working for or with, as to how much business they do down there, and who they are working with, or how big they are, etc., etc., etc...

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all this talk, I had to check how my last stay there went. Empty less then a day, total miles 1,188 at $1.38

View attachment 11469
Me and 2 others from a certain carrier spent a week down there! Then the next time .... I didn't even make it back to the J ...had a load! Basically right time, right place....
It's just luck is all...:p

Last edited:
Reactions: jjtdrv4u

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FWIW, I expect it to be slow for a bit. This is the time of year that the big auto outfits have their annual shut-down/retoolings for the next model year, and they're just not doing much expedited for a few weeks.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FWIW, I expect it to be slow for a bit. This is the time of year that the big auto outfits have their annual shut-down/retoolings for the next model year, and they're just not doing much expedited for a few weeks.

And unfortunately layoffs this time with no return date :(

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Rookie question:
Is there anyway to see what size vehicle the person posting drives? It would help explain his post better than having to ask each time. (Asking for the non regulars) Maybe in their profile?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rookie question:
Is there anyway to see what size vehicle the person posting drives? It would help explain his post better than having to ask each time. (Asking for the non regulars) Maybe in their profile?
No....not unless the poster has that info in their profile or signature...
my status is shown....

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Rookie question:
In the old forum software there was a place for that in the profile, which became "Occupation" in the new software. Those who have filled in that field with their vehicle will have it showing in their profile. Some have their vehicle listed in their signature (which doesn't show on the phone app but does on full browser).

The easiest way to tell what vehicle someone is driving is just look at who whines and complains the most, especially about sitting or it being slow, those are cargo van and Sprinters-type drivers.

If they're complaining about rates, those who complain about rates that are less than a dollar a mile, same van group of people. Those who wine about rates that are higher than a dollar a mile, those are the straight truck people.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle click on my name.....I just put in sprinter owner on the status line of profile

same place you have your restraining order...LOL
I thought about that, too, right after I posted the above message. That's actually a good spot for listing a vehicle since people aren't likely to change their status all that often.

I'll look into seeing if another field can be added for a vehicle, but it may be more trouble that it's worth.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My gut feeling is the poster wants to be able to see truck size in the post. Maybe under screen name or avitar.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
As a cargo van driver, I don't feel like people here who are saying you don't HAVE to leave Laredo for .50/mile are really understanding the plight of myself and other CV drivers. If we work for a company that directly says to us, "Hey, it's REALLY hard for us to get loads out of Laredo, so we're going to bid the jobs at around 50 cents. Is that ok with you?" What are we supposed to do?

At first, having read on here advice before it ever occured, I'd say no, I'd like at least 70 cents, then I never get it. I'd sit in perpetuity. I don't know if my company just isn't trying at that point because I pissed them off, or if they're right and it's impossible to get loads for 70 cents in a cargo van at this company coming out of Laredo. What I DO know, is that when I tell them, "Sure, I'll take 50 cents a mile." I STILL wait for up to a week to get a load. I had maybe 8 calls from my company asking if I'd be interested in loads at 50 cpm. I said yes every time, and they didn't call back, which means they didn't win the bid at 50 cents.

I finally ended up winning a load at 50 cpm that had me deadhead 2 hours out first to get 700 loaded miles. Does this pay the bills? Absolutely not. But it paid for my fuel to get out of there. If I KNEW I was going to have to wait a week when I pulled into Laredo, I probably would have just paid for my own fuel to deadhead out of there day 1 after getting some sleep. But you never know.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I was leased to that company I either would not go to Laredo, or I would change the company. I ain't driving for fun.
I wouldn't go, either. If you go down there at a regular rate, then leave at 50 or 60 cents, then you've lost money on both loads, especially if you had to sit a week or two to get that 50 cent load. Don't let that big $800 load to Laredo fool you, you can make more than that in a week without ever having to leave Ohio.