Anyone in Texarkana or Dallas???

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Ok, I am here at the flyin hook in Texarkana. I can't p/u a load until Tuesday in Grand Prairie, TX going to Lexington, KY. Anyone here??
Anyone know of some cool parks to visit near this area or Dallas? Good places to eat near Dallas?

just wonderin:confused:

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, I am here at the flyin hook in Texarkana. I can't p/u a load until Tuesday in Grand Prairie, TX going to Lexington, KY. Anyone here??
Anyone know of some cool parks to visit near this area or Dallas? Good places to eat near Dallas?

just wonderin:confused:

Hey, I was there two days ago. I am in Michigan now. Only had to dh 1000 miles to get the load.:eek:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Shawn, the best advice I can give is to take yourself to a bookstore, and get a copy of "1000 places to see in America & Canada before you die". Besides all the expected places, you'll find descriptions of interesting things (the annual Duck Calling Contest, in Arkansas, a Kite Festival on Padre Island), and my favorite: little places to eat that you'd drive right past, otherwise. Prices and phone numbers are listed, so you know what to expect.
I read this book with a highlighter in hand, always.:)
PS One of my favorite restaurants in the Ft Worth area is The Mercado Juarez, I 35W, exit 53 - the carnitas (roast pork) are the best I've had anywhere.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Interesting...thanks cheri, dcalien......I like Mexican food myself. Yeah, I got a load to Tulsa, OK then got a load to Gurden, AR. and they sent me the load going to Lexington, KY so I'm glad I'm not deadheading 1000 miles to get a good load. Glad to see you got a load back to Michigan....Not as hot there. Man it's hot down here.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Interesting...thanks cheri, dcalien......I like Mexican food myself. Yeah, I got a load to Tulsa, OK then got a load to Gurden, AR. and they sent me the load going to Lexington, KY so I'm glad I'm not deadheading 1000 miles to get a good load. Glad to see you got a load back to Michigan....Not as hot there. Man it's hot down here.

Tell me about it. Ha When I left West Memphis, the radio said 85. My thermometer said 102. I wonder if 1000 miles is a record dead head? I hope it is my personal best/worst.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I wonder if 1000 miles is a record dead head? I hope it is my personal best/worst.
Nope, not a record....I deadheaded from Boise, Idaho back home because they sent me to Boise from Peoria, Il on a Monday. I got there 2 days later but since the holiday was the next week I deadheaded back home after waiting in Boise for 3 days. I wasn't about to get stuck in a snowstorm either.!

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Nope, not a record....I deadheaded from Boise, Idaho back home because they sent me to Boise from Peoria, Il on a Monday. I got there 2 days later but since the holiday was the next week I deadheaded back home after waiting in Boise for 3 days. I wasn't about to get stuck in a snowstorm either.!

I forgot, you told me that.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Just went to the Texas welcome center on I 35 mm 223. Got some information there. Guess there is a Tex Mex restauraunt here called La Carreta it's off of State Line Ave. I heard it's pretty good. Wouldn't mind checking out Fair Park in Dallas either. It's got the Cotton Bowl, etc there. Also got a place called the Stockyard. :rolleyes:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter

I wish I was there, only because that would mean that I wouldn't be in Des Moines any longer! I've been having the worst week I've had in ages, which means that next week will be great, right?

There is a steakhouse chain in Texas called Texas Land & Cattle. Dallas has a couple locations. It's pretty good steak and you can get a dinner there for under $20 depending on what you get. It might not be as cheap as the buffet at the J, but a lot better.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Well shoot, if you are in the Fair Park area, the art gallery I work with is in that neighborhood--www.500x.org. I'm on a load from San Antonio to Arizona picking up in a couple hours. Trying to get back to the gallery in time for a meeting on Sunday if routing works out. That will involve some deadhead.

eb

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Just ate at a restaraunt in Texarkana, Arkansas side called La Carretas. I had their Chimichangas one chicken one beef. I could only eat one. They were awesome. Not to mention their salsa was really good too! I'm stuffed now....can't move. can barely type....I also tried their grilled shrimp. You get six for 2.99 but it was **** good. comes with a lemon. The chimichangas come with of course the beans and spanish rice. It was a little pricier than the J at 16.50 with drink, side and everything else, but it was the best Mexican food I have eaten. Even better than Chi Chis. And the atmosphere was really nice too. Ebsprint what kind of art gallery do you got? I'm planning on visiting Fair Park, maybe tomorrow or Sunday Enjoy the cooler air in Des Moines because it's hot here. I think it's supposed to be only 68 on Sunday in Dallas so it'll be a little more tolerable then. Compared to the 85 it is now.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The gallery is called 500X (the address is 500 Exposition Avenue)(just across I-30 from Fair Park). It's an artist run gallery. An alternative space for artists without representation to get a foothold in the art scene. Most of the artists are recent art school graduates. I don't have anything showing this month, but there is usually something good on exhibit. It's open on the weekends, but since this weekend is the end of this month's show, the artists will probably be removing their work on Sunday.

eb

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Come back to Arkansas in July or August then you'll see hot. It hasn't even been warm this week. In July and August it will be in the high 90s to just maybe a tad over the 100 mark with about 95% humidity. It will be so hot and sticky when you go outside after being in the a/c it will feel like you have a weight on your chest.