Any way to turn out headlights on a Ford CV?

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
I drive a 2006 Ford Cargo van and I was wondering if any one knows how to get the headlights to turn off while idling. It bothers other driver when you have to idle and there are your headlights blaring away. It isn't necessary to have your headlights on while idling. Just makes them burn out quicker. THERE! I answered my own question.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing your headlights should not be blaring away..they should be on reduced power...daylight running mode....answer: Don't Idle...LOL

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On GM, just lightly apply the parking brake. Should be the same on Fords.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
When you pop your hood you have that black plastic piece in front of the radiator with your stickers on it. Take that piece off and in the center(approximately) you will see a small black plastic box with a wire hooked to it, just unplug that wire and put electrical tape on the connection to protect. After that just put the plastic piece back on and you are done.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
On my Ford the DRLs are just the headlights, no difference.

Please understand, he is Canadian...They do things differently over there...lol....

There may be a fuse in the fuse box marked DRL. You may be able to just pull that fuse, if it has one.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please understand, he is Canadian...They do things differently over there...lol....

There may be a fuse in the fuse box marked DRL. You may be able to just pull that fuse, if it has one.

In a Canadian spec van, that fuse will be marked "DRL eh".

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Try turning the headlight switch to the parking lights setting. That may turn off the headlight bulbs. It does on my Chev anyway. Mine also go off when I put it in Park though. Even when idling they only come on once I put it in gear. I guess they figured DRL's didn't need to be DPL's.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya see the lazy US way of making a DLR light is to put an inline power reducer which is known to create many wiring problems in the past....rather then put in PROPER wiring and it's own fuse....eh?....;)

guido4475

Not a Member
Ya see the lazy US way of making a DLR light is to put an inline power reducer which is known to create many wiring problems in the past....rather then put in PROPER wiring and it's own fuse....eh?....;)

Youre incorrect, Ken, at least for a Ford. Just got off the phone with Tom, a Ford senior master mechanic friend of mine, and he said under the hood, on the drivers side, is a fuse box with a black cover.There is a relay for the drl's as well as a fuse, supposed to be location# f1.3. That should do it, and check all the lights afterward to see if it all works properly.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yeah well..put your foot on the brake pedal and DRL will flicker...they shouldn't but in most models they do....

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter

You are right! Under the driver's left foot is fuse box and pulling the 10amp fuse on the second row from top far left fuse will do it. So far I haven't seen any adverse effects on anything else due to pulling that fuse. It sure is nice to not have the headlights on while sitting idling. Thanks.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
On my 2008 I don't have that problem. When the lights are turned off, they stay off until I turn them on.