Any tips for buying first used truck?

nponce10

New Recruit
Driver
Hi everyone, I am looking to a buy a used FL. I am looking for anything between 2014-17. What is the highest mileage you’d get and what’s the most you would pay? Thank you in advance! Any tips or info helps so much.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi everyone, I am looking to a buy a used FL. I am looking for anything between 2014-17. What is the highest mileage you’d get and what’s the most you would pay? Thank you in advance! Any tips or info helps so much.
I'd get the total engine hours, divide that into the odometer reading...that will give you an average speed...the higher the average speed, the less it idled..

Try and obtain maintenance records....find what dealer sold it new and give them the vin# ...go to whatever engine it has in it service center as well...they may have engine information in their database as well that the dealer doesn't know about....

As far as the brand of truck, it's a matter of personal opinion and preferences....I had a few Freightliners...was greatly disappointed in the fit, finish, and quality...I bought a Kenworth and couldn't believe the difference between the two..not only were dealer visits more enjoyable with less of a wait at Kenworth, but far fewer as well. Sure, a Kenworth or Peterbilt costs more, but also has a higher resale value because they are a far more better built truck. Just my opinion based on experience.

Reactions: Turtle

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stay away from 2014. If you have to get a 2015. Even better is 2016 or newer. They are better and they understanding more of the after treatment system of how it works. Trucks are very expensive these days. just make sure you can get some info/background on the truck.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Biggest thing I would look at is maintenance records, if they don't have records walk away from that unit. Have you looked at leasing a unit from, dealer, you can get in for less money and get a newer truck.