Any thoughts on the Idle Free APU systems?

SpaceKrafter

Active Expediter
I saw some marketing blah blah blah about the Idle Free APU systems. High tech battery operated. Two questions (or maybe three): Do these things work? What's the cost? And do they have a Sprinter version.

Has anybody seen or used these APU's?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I like the idea of a battery powered apu because you are using no fuel to get A/C. But they are limited in there run time. I met someone that has one and they carry a small generator to charge the batteries and keep it running if the batteries get too low.
Clima Cab makes a really nice system that does a good job with power management. Here's a link:
Home - Glacier Bay Technology

For heat I would go with an espar.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just remember that you have to charge the batteries up and there is an assumption that the driver will not have a 34 hour reset so the truck moves after the 10 hour reset.

A couple of these systems take 6 to 8 hours to properly charge, so that is 6 to 8 hours of idling.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I like the idea of a battery powered apu because you are using no fuel to get A/C. But they are limited in there run time. I met someone that has one and they carry a small generator to charge the batteries and keep it running if the batteries get too low.
Clima Cab makes a really nice system that does a good job with power management. Here's a link:
Home - Glacier Bay Technology

For heat I would go with an espar.

Those Espar heaters are incredible at heating and use little fuel. When I was in the truck I used to heat up a can of soup by cranking up the temp and putting the can right in front of the vent.

The issue with battery powered A/C as jj mentioned is run time, they aren't very good for expediting because a lot can't even run for 8 hours. A generator and A/C are the best options that I have seen at this point.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The issue with battery powered A/C as jj mentioned is run time, they aren't very good for expediting because a lot can't even run for 8 hours. A generator and A/C are the best options that I have seen at this point.

I have one in one of the trucks I just bought and they were run for 11 hours in Texas heat before I had the trucks picked up and used a few times on the way up here. They last more than 12 hours in moderate heat and humidity but have to be recharged for 6 to 8 hours.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have one in one of the trucks I just bought and they were run for 11 hours in Texas heat before I had the trucks picked up and used a few times on the way up here. They last more than 12 hours in moderate heat and humidity but have to be recharged for 6 to 8 hours.

What model do you have because most don't last anywhere near that long. This is also for a Sprinter so batteries and weight become an issue to keep them on.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I think Piper's ran about 10 hours.

I think it is the same system they use in Mack and KW, it was fitted last year. I will try to remember to swing by the place they are at and take a look who made them in the next couple days.

SpaceKrafter

Active Expediter
It does sound as though the things are not well suited to EX. I think the weight is the killer actually. The web site sez it weighs in at over 300lbs. But there is no info about whether they are making a smaller unit sized to fit a Sprinter application. Still, the concept is a good one. I like that the unit can connect to standard 110 outlets at truck stops and charge that way (Not that the Flying J are going to be giving away electricity anytime soon.) The days of dirty ole idling are coming to an end though. Thanks for the input.