Any panther van teams?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I can tell you that I spoke to a husband/wife team that said they were very happy running team with Panther and that they were used efficiently.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
They dont seem to stay on the boards for very long...

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
Really? Van teams? I'd never thought of it, till my wife brought it up, then I saw this topic......she's wanting to team a sprinter....as opposed to a straight truck. (she's not comfortable with the size of them) Does it work? Is it capable of being comfortable? Seems like very little space for 2 people, but I'd be willing to do it, if its something that a carrier might want.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Really? Van teams? I'd never thought of it, till my wife brought it up, then I saw this topic......she's wanting to team a sprinter....as opposed to a straight truck. (she's not comfortable with the size of them) Does it work? Is it capable of being comfortable? Seems like very little space for 2 people, but I'd be willing to do it, if its something that a carrier might want.
Set up right, there is more personal space in a van than a straight truck...in my opinion. Jenny could offer the best advice on that. She and Nick were teaming in a van and are now in a straight truck. She could give a good comparison.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In a sleeper you always have your personal space the same can't be said for a sprinter. Although at panther or a couple others two skids is fine so you can build a dedicated personal space.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Lol, liking each other seems to help. We have been together nonstop for so many years now it seems only natural. We have always been in a straight truck or big truck, and we are really enjoying this freedom. All the simplicity has made our time in the van so much more enjoyable. I think it just depends on the relationship with any driving husband and wife teams.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
My husband is 6 foot and can stand up in the sprinter. We have plenty of room and a sleeper so we don't see much difference except that we can go anywhere and feel more rested because if one of us gets tired we can switch driving at any time. Our sleeper allows us to haul 3 skids since our bed folds up. We love this!

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
We're looking at a 170" sprinter, with a built in perma style sleeper. (I've seen them, they go back to the edge of the side door right?) With the 170" that leaves us just over 8' for cargo (approximately).

Had a Fed Ex Express (huh? Federal Express Express???) driver nice enough to allow me to crawl around on his truck while I was up in Billings last week, and they're pretty large! I can see it WOULD be possible to have a dedicated sleeper and still carry 2 skids deep.....I agree with the wife though, we would want a dedicated sleeper space as we would be running like an actual team sometimes, where one of us would be driving while the other slept. (just like an ST or TT team)

We're going into details now on what we need to have and what to expect when we jump into that world in a few years time. Any pointers on that? I've been reading the other threads on here, and having her read them as well.....it is HER idea after all, she needs to know what we're getting into as well. We're more interested in what those of you who are running same household teams did to get ready......example.....Where is your stuff? After being together for 18 years, we've accumulated a lot of stuff.....Once we have a full plan, I'll post it for review and critique.....might be a while though, we're still trying to figure it out. (which is why I ask for pointers)

Thanks for the insight you've all shared so far!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Figure out where you think you'll want to be and what you want to do when you get done expediting.
We have some storage units full of the important stuff and stuff not worth storing.
After a year we gave away the car. It's easier not having to go home.
When our time out here is up we'll figure out where to go and what to do. The grandkids are scattered as are the siblings. Are we healthy enough to own acreage again and do we want that work ?
We're taking it day by day, being frugal,and staying open minded.
I have two post expediting career business ideas.
Mail seems to be our biggest hassle.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I agree on the mail part...I don't really want anyone opening my mail. Bills we just get all sent on the laptop electronically, same for bank statements. Still, some things can't be done that way, so our PO Box is full when we get by the house. Thinking of getting out of our small apartment and just renting a storage. That way we have one less bill to bother with. We don't have much, but would like a storage for at least being able to change clothes and shoes out at times, storing documents that we don't take out on the road. If I had a family member who lived where I"d want to visit and actually got through to more, I'd probably just have a room or closet at their house for our belongings. Much cheaper alternative. Plus, someone could start the car or drive it every now and then.

Youll learn what works best for your needs once you start doing it. Everyone has different priorities and everyone lives different. Sometimes you just learn on the way.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
We're talking about paring things down to bare minimums, and putting them in storage, either at a locker place or maybe a family members house. (my family is all in SC, so it would be a good option) Either way we do it, our stuff and our mail that can't be done via PC will go in SC, because when we're done being vagabonds, that's where we want to be. What we're trying to figure out is just how much "personal" stuff we can get into a dedicated sleeper equipped sprinter. The list of stuff has begun, that which we think we'll need, and what we think we'll want as well. Needs would be stuff like clothing, hygiene gear, and at least one laptop. (for bills and such) Wants would be a small...and I keep telling her SMALL library (she's a reader, I'm trying to convince her of the merits of a kindle as opposed to a second laptop), movies or a netflix kind of thing to download/watch when we're sitting, mostly entertainment/lifestyle stuff in the want catagory.

I'm already looking at getting a basic tool set, in a small enough package to carry it along. (ok, maybe I'm being a bit anal about the tools, but I WILL have my tools!) Cargo security options, loading/unloading tools (dolly/4 wheeler), and other cargo mobility items. I'd love to get measurements and storage capacity numbers from someone with a dedicated sleeper. (we're looking at the factory made deal that I've seen on here) So we KNOW how much room we have and can plan accordingly.

Remember, this is still 3 years out, so we have time to plan and be ready....and not find out on the road that we forgot something important.....(OMG we forgot a gas card!) Don't laugh, it happens!

Thanks again, for all the information, from myself, and from my wife.....and you can blame her....this is HER idea after all. If it were up to me, it'd be an ST, with a real sleeper and more room for "stuff".

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Figure out where you think you'll want to be and what you want to do when you get done expediting.
We have some storage units full of the important stuff and stuff not worth storing.
When our time out here is up we'll figure out where to go and what to do. The grandkids are scattered as are the siblings. Are we healthy enough to own acreage again and do we want that work ?

My 2 cents is i have been on the road for 17 yrs. And have always kept my house..no matter how little I was there...because I always need a home base..makes you feel human...if you have never lived on the road its a little hard to grasp... but you will..also when medical emergencies come or need to be off the road for a bit..( and they will) makes it alot easier to deal with when you just can go home..
Again just my view..

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Those of you who are using p.o. boxes for your mail and living on the road....you need to double check that you are legally qualified for the per diem tax deductions. Those deductions are important and it"s my understanding that you have to prove a permament residence. Just a heads up for those that havent considered that particular angle.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter

Lol! Just going through same thing, been out almost a year now and we were paying a huge storage bill mainly bc of my old Ford Escape. Guess what my 19 yr old is getting for xmas? We'll be able to move everything else into a smaller storage.
As for mail, we do use a family members address in our "home" state.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(