Any of you have a problem with dual tanks?

G

We have a recently purchased International 4700 which has dual 50 gallon tanks. The problem which we recently encountered is that the tanks don't draw down evenly. Couple days back, we ran out of fuel while the guage said over 1/4 tank. The right tank, which has the guage did have that much fuel, but the left tank was dry. Cost $100 to get a guy to bring us fuel, and then it started and I went on to the truck stop and topped off.

We had in into the dealer for two days and they said it was fixed (supposedly one line was too short, and they replaced it). Stopped today to fuel and put 16 gal in right and 30 in the left, so it's still no better. Anyone else have this happen? Any cures or ideas? The tow truck guy said it's 'cause the Greenpeace set managed to get crossover lines outlawed and there's not much can be done about it. Tell me it isn't so. Gonna go belly ach at the dealer again, but I'm beginning to wonder if they have an answer.

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There seems to be a lot of this going around right now -- we also ran out of fuel, with the gauge reading 1/4 tank. The problem for us was the fact that we were parked on an angle -- not enough to be horribly uncomfortable, but enough to raise the draw-through 'vent/hole' above the level of the remaining fuel. What happened is that the fuel all circulated over to the right tank, but had no way to level off.

Thank goodness we were sitting at a truckstop when it happened -- and the angle was such that we were able to roll into the fuel island, with only a slight scare as another truck pulled out of a parking space in front of us! (Good thing he wasn't backing IN, or we would have been dead in the water! Talk about EMBARRASING -- 'Well, yeah, we knew we were getting a little LOW on fuel, but we THOUGHT we had enough...' Yeah, RIGHT!!! :D )

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
problem is your tanks are not line up and flow is not right
you should be able to draw from both tanks
call dan or bill at tsi and they will be able to fix this or
tell you how to fix the problem 800-388-3850 tell em geo
sents ya

G

We really appreciate the input, gets to be a pain stopping and putting in 20 or 30 gallons. We stopped to eat a couple days ago and were also parked on a slant, but that time it evened the fuel out. I found a "never fails fuel gauge" (a good old fashioned tank stick), and have been using that on the left tank.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HAVEN'T PERSONALLY EXPERIENCED THE PROBLEM WITH MY OWN TRUCK. HOWEVER IN THE YEARS I WORKED AS A MECHANIC AT A FL DEALERSHIP, PRIOR TO ENTERING THE GREAT WORLD OF EXPEDITING. I HAVE SEEN THIS PROBLEM. AS SOME ONE MENTIONED, THE DAYS OF CROSSOVER LINES ARE HISTORY. BUT MOST SYSTEMS UTILIZE A DUAL FEED/DUAL RETURN. WHAT THAT MEANS IS IT PULLS EQUALLY AND RETURNS EQUALLY TO BOTH TANKS. TO KEEP BOTH TANKS EVEN. SOME PROBLEMS I HAVE SEEN THAT CAUSE THE UNEVEN FUEL LEVEL ARE: TRASH IN THE FUEL TANK. WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS: S0METHING FLOATING IN YOUR TANK, LIKE THE SEAL TAB THAT YOU PULL OFF OF A FUEL ADDITIVE BOTTLE. WHAT HAPPENS IS THE TRASH GETS SUCKED UP AGAINST THE INLET ON THE FEED LINE RESTRICTING THE AMOUNT OF FUEL BEING DRAWN FROM THAT ONE TANK. WHICH CAN CAUSE AND UNEVEN FUEL LEVEL. ANOTHER PROBLEM I HAVE SEEN IS A RESTRICTED OR CLOGGED RETURN LINE. WHICH CAUSES THE FUEL WHEN IT RETURNS TO GO MOSTLY TO ONE TANK. THESE ARE THE MOST COMMON PROBLEMS. YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR REPAIR SHOP TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT YOUR FUEL LINES AND MAKE SURE NONE OF THEM ARE KINKED CAUSING A RESTRICTION. THEY CAN ALSO BLOW COMPRESSED AIR THRU THE LINES TO REMOVE ANY TRASH THAT MAY BE STUCK IN THE LINE. THEY CAN ALSO TAKE THE LINE FEED LINE OFF AT THE TANK AND SEE IF THERE IS TRASH IN THE FITTING AT THE TANK. AS FOR THE RETUEN SIDE THEY CAN TAKE THE RETURN OFF AT THE TANK AND PUT A DRAIN PAN UNDER THE RETURN LINE AND RUN THE TRUCK TO SEE THAT IT IS GETTING GOOD RETURN TO EACH TANK. THESE ARE THE MOST COMMON PROBLEMS. I HOPE THIS INFO IS HELPFUL. HOPE THAT YOU GET THE PROBLEM SOLVED. THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE PROBABLY ISN'T COMPLICATED. BUT THE REAL PROBLEM YOU'LL HAVE IS FINDING A SHOP WITH A GOOD MECHANIC. LIKE EVERYTHING IN THIS DAY AND AGE IT IS HARD TO FIND PEOPLE WHO ARE GOOD AT THERE JOB! GOOD LUCK!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been having this problem on and off for about 6 months,after I fill the tanks (and the left one has always taken 4-6 gallons more) sometimes the left tank will not draw. I can usually tell by watching the gauge go down much quicker than normal,also the left tank will literally go to the brim because the return is filling it without any draw. The problem will go away when the truck is parked and the engine shut off and the pressure goes down.Usually takes all night,then everything may be ok for 5-6 fillups.. I have been to 2 dealers,they have blown out the lines etc,they think as GEO said there is something in the tank,possibly a plastic wrapping bag etc that floats around and sometimes clogs the vent.They have suggested removing the tank,draining it and steam cleaning it.I always write my mileage on the fuel receipt these days so I can keep track of when I last filled up.I imagine the labor charge to clean out a tank is somewhere around $400,hate to spend that for a minor inconvience,but I very well may..

G

Really appreciate all the help folks. The problem seems to have resolved itself, now we are able to run down to 1/4 and put in 70 to 80 gallons which seems about right to me. Other than that, the truck has been running great.

crazy larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Your crossover line is that good.....You will always have odd fill rates unless you start and stop the pumps at exactly the same time...If your truck is stopped on an angle, one tank will drain into another.....Don't worry about it--you will have much bigger issues to deal with..........

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Can u give us a slight hint as to what we might be looking at??Had a oil analysis done today on my Cummins C 8.3 with 493,000 on it,all indicators were in the normal range.However this fuel problem continues,tanks both drain normally for a couple of weeks then for no apparent reason the left one will not draw.Seems to happen more frequently when I run longer between fillups. If I run 700+ miles and take 63-65 gallons the problem starts up.If I fill up at shorter intervals such as 500 miles all seems to be ok.I have found that when the left tank does not draw,if I park on a angle for as little as 30 minutes it will drain into the right tank then both will draw ok..I belive there is something in the tank floating around that clogs the ouput line or the vent..WEAVE can u help..Thanks