Any Ideas?

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After the folks at fyda installed a new altnator on my truck thursday I beat feat to detroit for orientation at J.D.CLARK. hung out with mike the dispatcher spent the night in the parking lot then did orientation fri morning. I enjoyed meeting everyone there i'm glad to be a part of the family. Sorry I missed you Roger . Got the truck lettered in the afternoon then left for home to pick up supplies and truck tags. while travelling down hwy 33 half way between columbus and I 77 in wva all the lights on the truck went out except head lights I pulled off the road to check it out bu couldn't figure it out. but if you put the switch in the down position so all lights except headlights come on they all work then when you flip the switch up so all lights including headlights come on they stay on long enough to get up to speed then go out again leaving you with just headlights it did this all night long. So I ran flashers until I could get to the first truckstop on 77 to sleep until the sun came up. when it did I crawled underneath the truck and all over trying to find the problem but could not. Frustrated I left for VA I ran all the lights the whole way and kept looking in the mirror at the box light it would flicker when you would a bump but they stayed on. They went out after working for 7 hours but all i had to do was turn the switch off for about 30 seconds then turn it back on and they stayed on for the rest of the run just flickering every now and then. and they don't flicker if your sitting still which makes it hard to find the problem. I will talk to bobby snyder at fyda monday to see what help he can offer. Anyone else have any ideas?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like the light switch might have an issue or a bad ground for your marker lights.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Bad ground between body and frame ? Switch going bad ? If Alt was the problem why didn't battery discharge ?
If you don't have a volt meter in the dash buy one that plugs into cig lighter. Best $20 you'll spend.
Of course,the alt belt is tight....

Deville

Not a Member
The one weak spot in my truck is the box lights. I have replaced many blubs & lens & have traced many shorts. My main issue is tress. I hit alot of them in the area where I live & park the truck. There is just no way around them.

First off, Check inside the box that all the lights are getting power to them. I hit a tree once & grounded out one light & half the box did not work. I had to cut the wire to a single light to make the rest work.

If that checks out, than see where the light's to the box go. Start by traceing the wire that feeds the power to the lights in the box. Alot of times that wire might be connected in 2 places.

If your truck has a spearate switch for the trailer lights trace that wire that feeds the switch, it should be the same wire that powers the light's on the box.

if the light's turn on with the headlight switch that wire should run right into one of the taillight asembley for power, & it should ground on a piece of metal connected to that asembley. Find those two wires. Check the ground & wiggle the wire in the tail light asembley see what happens.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Sorry I missed meeting you, was on my Canada run. Had a similar problem with my old truck, it was a short in the box wiring. My truck has relays instead of fuses, so the lights would run for about 20 minutes over heat the relay and shut off, relay cools off lights come back on. After fixing several shorts just finally rewired the whole box, been good since doing it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tenn trucker beat me to the relay.
When was the last time you checked and serviced the bateries they do more than just start the truck now days especilay with multiplexed wireing systems in trucks. Even maintainance free bateries can and should be serviced its, a basic service involves testing, cleaning them up, watering them and give them a good overnite charge on a batery charger.
Ill post a How to some time this evening or tonite got a honey do list.

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Tenn trucker beat me to the relay.
When was the last time you checked and serviced the bateries they do more than just start the truck now days especilay with multiplexed wireing systems in trucks. Even maintainance free bateries can and should be serviced its, a basic service involves testing, cleaning them up, watering them and give them a good overnite charge on a batery charger.
Ill post a How to some time this evening or tonite got a honey do list.

Bob Wolf
Bob I just bought this truck from FYDA they stretched it and put the box on it and I had them put an apu and liftgate on so theres been alot of hands in the wiring the batteries are brand new as as the wiring for them the alt went out as I was leaving the dealership so I turned around and they installed a rebuilt one at no charge to me. one of the main things that concerns me is all the different hand in the wiring.

piattteam

Active Expediter
How was your overall experience with Fyda?
My wife and I have just purchased a truck from them, to be picked up Tuesday after Memorial Day weekend.
Hope you get the wiring mess corrected!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bob I just bought this truck from FYDA they stretched it and put the box on it and I had them put an apu and liftgate on so theres been alot of hands in the wiring the batteries are brand new as as the wiring for them the alt went out as I was leaving the dealership so I turned around and they installed a rebuilt one at no charge to me. one of the main things that concerns me is all the different hand in the wiring.

Yep, too many hands makes sense thought Id mention the batteries because I had an electrical problem about four years ago. The dealership was wanting to play lets replace, charge and hope it works with no clear plan of action after the $ 135.00 cam sensor pluss 1 hour for the install, pluss three hours diagnostic turned out I needed new bateries If i remember the repair was almost a grand and I still had to buy a set of bateries.
Any problems with the APU showing an over charge on your truck or APU volt meter?

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
No problem.Why would it show an overcharge unless your APU was overcharging,at which point you'd want to know.
We were in a truck where the APU did not turn itself on at a set voltage.
We'd monitor the meter and when batteries showed 11.9 we'd fire up APU.
Personally, I would never buy an APU that didn't monitor battery voltage.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How was your overall experience with Fyda?
My wife and I have just purchased a truck from them, to be picked up Tuesday after Memorial Day weekend.
Hope you get the wiring mess corrected!

It was good but the real test will be if they take care of this problem I think they should since they did the stretch and wiring I paid them to have the apu and the liftgate installed but they contracted that out to 2 different companies. My only complaint so far is what I was told would take 2 weeks took a month. charging voltage on apu seems to be ok and it did cut on when the alt went out. I think A shop here at home not knowing how or what fyda did might have a hard time figuring it especially when they only go out or blink when the truck is moving.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd run a wire from the frame to the cab and to the box before I went anywhere.
Remove any bolt,wire brush the frame( or even scrape it with a screwdriver.)get thru the paint to bare metal. Do the same to a metal part of the box. As you drive to your next shop visit you'll know if this ground wire eliminated your problem.
I'd also buy a new light switch. Change that. If that doesn't help you've got a good spare. That spare may save a service failure some night.
Good luck.

piattteam

Active Expediter
Did FYDA give you their 30 day warranty? Reason being, we had a breakdown our first trip. Have presented FYDA with the receipts, and plenty of emails, and have heard NOTHING from them in response!!!! Will update later.,

piattteam

Active Expediter
Spoke with John, email, yesterday.
They are going over the receipts and should have a check for us by mid next week!!
Yea!
Thanks John

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
Did FYDA give you their 30 day warranty? Reason being, we had a breakdown our first trip. Have presented FYDA with the receipts, and plenty of emails, and have heard NOTHING from them in response!!!! Will update later.,

I had big issues with a truck I bought from them last summer. They ended up spending quite a bit of money on something that should have been taken care of by their shop before the truck left the yard, but it was still costly and time consuming for me, too. The bill of sale had 'all systems will be working' so if yours was similar, should be no problem getting reimbursed....but, it will still cost you something in lost time & revenue. Sales dept. seemed pretty good, the shop I would be skeptical about. If I buy another truck there, it will be checked out by someone other than them, which I guess is a good idea anyway.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
[h=2]Re: Any Ideas?[/h]I have a lot of ideas. Unfortunately most are half-baked and none are pertinent to this thread.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'm having the same problem. All clearance lamps go out while driving with the head lights on. Everything works fine when stopped or head lights are off. Stop and turn signals always working. Can't find anything loose or makde lightgs flicker by jiggling wires.
Thinking it might be the switch but they work sitting still.
???????

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
yeah they owe me too i got to call them tomorrow to see whats up. they said when i sent the receipts in no problem if they dont pay me before the expo i will spend the whole expo by their booth telling them about their lies. however if they keep their promise i will give them a good reference.