Any Company Sponsored CDL for Straight Trucks?

Jennifer Price

New Recruit
Researching
Hi All,

My husband and I are looking to become team drivers and have been doing our research to find a company that will provide free training in exchange for a 1 yr. contract. We both just graduated with our bachelor's degrees in business and cannot afford tuition for the local schools -- they want 7k each and we already have a ton of student loans so we are pretty strapped financially at the moment.

We actually want to drive because we want to one day have our own fleet as we studied logistics and sourcing etc. and love working together. We could go get boring office jobs that pay half the rate of a driver, but we want to travel and work together and make twice as much so we can pay off our loans faster and learn more about expediting first hand.

He is comfortable with the idea of driving tractor / trailers but I feel I would be most confident with straight trucks as I have some box truck experience. Does anyone know of any companies recruiting that have straight trucks as an option? I don't mind doing the training in an 18 wheeler and getting a Class A, but I think straight trucks are what we would prefer.

Any help with this would be amazing as I would be so grateful for the info. We are leaning towards Prime Inc. but they don't offer straight trucks. Any advice?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First, drivers make a lot less than you think. Second, in expediting, whether you own the truck or drive for a fleet owner, you're independent contractors not employees, so your are literally running a small business.

Third, unless you really want to, you don't need to go to school to learn how to drive a straight truck. The hardest things to learn about driving a straight truck is properly securing freight and how to properly handle hours of service and the log book.

You can get your CDL by studying the CDL manual and taking the practice tests online. You'll just need to borrow or rent a truck for the road test.

Jedidad

Active Expediter
Researching
Might check out Roadmaster. I seem to recall that they have a CDL B training class for around $1000 or so. Might not be at all their locations though.