antique wood boats

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WOW, what a classic and with history that comes from my area!! There was lots of "rum runners" where I lived as a boy. In fact, the first boat I ever drove was a former "rum runner" She was a 32' Chris Craft. There were '"Secret" commpartments with really cool sliding doors to hide them. There was a 12ga "cannon" mounted on the prow. This was soo cool to a VERY young boy, 6 years old. We left the dock at 6am to go fishing, friends of my dad owned the boat. As we left the dock "SY" , the boats owner, had me "fire" the cannon. It was loaded with a blank. He said his neighbors had kept him up all night and he wanted some paybacks. BOOM!!! How cool!!

On the West side of Grosse Ilse, MI, in the middle of the Detroit River, is a large pink pagotta. It was once owned by Al Capone. It was famous for it's rum running history. It has a "gargage" for the boats. They would come in and out at night slipping into the building under the cover of darkness.

I wish I could afford that boat. I often hunt Harsen's Island. No bridge to it, you cross over on a ferry.

Layoutshooter

dieselwrench

Seasoned Expediter
In late Aug. the town of Hessel Mi. has a wood boat show where they fill a harbor with boats like that. Some of them are even brand new repro's. It is a must see for anyone that likes to see fine craftmanship.