Another Wannabe

Big Iron

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Guys, First Post!

A little history:
I drove T/T as O/O pulling vans and reefers from '95 to '03. Hauled a lot of air freight which is basicly expedited. I took some time off to handle some real estate transactions and for personal reasons. Now I would like to make a come back to trucking on a smaller scale. I'm 36 years old with CDL/A/HM and I'm planning to buy my own truck again.

What I know:
I have been reading this forum for about a week now and I'm still reading the archives. I want something small enough to eliminate the parking problems I used to have. Class D will fit in my driveway but I would prefer class C. I know I wont make the same money I did with the T/T. I know I will sit more than T/T. I will be a solo driver. I lived in New England most of my life and I dont mind running Northeast, INcluding NYC if it will keep me busier. I'm not a big fan of Canada but will go there if I have to. Have to take the bad with the good. I will be available at least 75% and I would hope my acceptance rate would be closer to 100%.

Questions:
1.Does the D unit have much advantage over the C unit?
2.Would there be any advantage staying under cdl?
3.What is the required insurance for C or D leased to a carrier?
Bobtail? Deadhead? Unladen liability? Primary? Cargo?
4.Can you use your truck for personal use?
company policy? insurance?
5.Which companies will allow me to book my own load when its slow?
6.Which companies use QC vs. Cellphone?
$35./week could buy a lot of minutes.
7.If a new driver refuses the 2nd load offered to him does that give him a 50% acceptance rate?

Some of these Q's may have been answered before but forum members come and go and opinions change with time. Thanks for taking time to read and I will have more Q's to follow. Hopefully not as long winded next time.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would continue to read and gather information. Your list of questions is too varied to give complete information. This is because many items are different between companies.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Jayman

Expert Expediter
This may seem a little paranoid, but...it is a rule I have lived by through most of my adult life. Im going to start driving in the near future and it will transfer over to that life style too.

When leaving your home, dont make your absence overly obvious. For security reasons I wouldnt park your truck at home, I wont be. That just advertises the fact that your home or not for anybody scoping your house out. If you have a wife or girlfriend that will be staying there while your away, it will be more important to slip in and out without being noticed for the obvious reasons.

Roll up your windows and lock your doors! LOL :D