Another old new guy here.............

tlang563

Seasoned Expediter
This is my first post, I'd like to say, I really do appreciate all the info and answers to questions you guys make available. I'm spending all my spare time reading all the past posts which are a gold mine of information on expediting. I'm thinking of changing gears and looking into expediting as a possible new direction. I just turned 59 in July. I've been driving for a major intercity bus co.(not Greyhound, but an ex-GH affiliate)for 26 years. The future of the bus industry isn't looking real bright, and I don't see it getting much better, so I think it's time for a change. I've driven charters all over the country, and more recently regular scheduled runs within the state. I've got a class B CDL, no haz-mat at present(shouldn't be a problem to add it), I'm currently DOT certified and take random drug screens whenever required. I've been logging for 26 years (although, the bus industry is still on the 10 hour driving time), so there's no problem there. No problems with large vehicle all our buses are 45'. Just wondering what my chances would be of getting on as a driver with a fleet owner, I have absolutely no expedite experience, but am willing to learn. I've read in past posts it's better to start out with somebody else to gain experience, to me that's looks like the best way to go. I don't plan on starting into this until about Jan. 2007, just want to crunch the numbers and absorb all the info I can before jumping in. Hopefully get to meet and talk to some drivers and fleet owners face to face. I have million questions and will probably be jumping in from time to time to ask for your advice. A couple of quick questions(1) Are there many fleet owner in the Texas area?, (I live in Austin) I noticed a lot of the driver wanted ads are in MI, OH, IN, and NY, it would seem if you got on in a team operation you'd want your co-driver to be from your neck of the woods, so when you decided on home time you'd both be close.(2) As I said I live in Austin, I'm right on the IH-35 corridor, I'm 70 miles from S.A. and IH-10, 160 miles from Houston, and about 200 miles from DFW, are these busy for expedited freight? Didn't mean to ramble on so long, Thanks for your time, Tom. :D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Welcome aboard.
I would seek the company that best fits your situation, and then look for fleet owners leased to them. Several of the large carriers operate all through TX.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator