Another newbie ? to the mix

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
Hello to all, and hope everyone is good. I am new to the straight truck line of expediting and have a few questions. I team with the owner of the FDCC truck. Our payment agreement is that I recieve 20% of the run pay(total pay of the trip from shipper to consignee, minus the DH and FSC) Is this a fair amount or am I getting shorted?? I normally end up driving 75% of the run miles. Another is should I have an active say in what loads are accepted and what loads are turned down? I mean it is his truck and all, but I am not out here for the joyride. I wanna have that little slice of pie that is being sliced and quartered and then split in half. And where is a good free place to look for load opps(outside of what FDCC sends us)? My last question is just today I drove 600miles of a 823mile trip to get to a better board (or express center as FDCC calls it, I ran a van for Panther) and should I ask that my driving be somewhat compensated?? I know that getting to a better load place means quicker load offers and hence making better runs but driving that far on his "whim" should mean that he should offer to compensate right? Thanx for any and all input, I have been "lurching" around this site for the past two months and it has offered some good pointers and some good entertainment. Hopefully all my questions arent irritating and spelling and grammer are in decent shape.....(I know some of you are quite critical on that)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well smacker, if you have those agreements in place, and, YOU tink yer gitt'in hosed.... then you must be!

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
Well smacker, if you have those agreements in place, and, YOU tink yer gitt'in hosed.... then you must be!

to think I am getting hosed I would have to have an idea of what a fair pay scale is......I was basically asking what the average going rate was....I am not complaining....hence thats why I was asking for some insight from maybe some similar experiences

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Hello to all, and hope everyone is good. I am new to the straight truck line of expediting and have a few questions. I team with the owner of the FDCC truck. Our payment agreement is that I recieve 20% of the run pay(total pay of the trip from shipper to consignee, minus the DH and FSC) Is this a fair amount or am I getting shorted?? I normally end up driving 75% of the run miles. Another is should I have an active say in what loads are accepted and what loads are turned down? I mean it is his truck and all, but I am not out here for the joyride. I wanna have that little slice of pie that is being sliced and quartered and then split in half. And where is a good free place to look for load opps(outside of what FDCC sends us)? My last question is just today I drove 600miles of a 823mile trip to get to a better board (or express center as FDCC calls it, I ran a van for Panther) and should I ask that my driving be somewhat compensated?? I know that getting to a better load place means quicker load offers and hence making better runs but driving that far on his "whim" should mean that he should offer to compensate right? Thanx for any and all input, I have been "lurching" around this site for the past two months and it has offered some good pointers and some good entertainment. Hopefully all my questions arent irritating and spelling and grammer are in decent shape.....(I know some of you are quite critical on that)

Ok, You were Deadheading some 800+ miles Right?? And you drove 600 of them.. My question is if you say your not getting paid for any dead heading, then Why would You Drive the 600 Miles if he isn't going to pay you for it?? After all, You are driving(Working) so he should pay you!!!! Nuff Said:confused:

timothy_flood

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with Poorboy. It's hard enough driving with all the crazies out here. I'd sit down with the owner, talk it over, and if you can't reach an agreement, find another team position. I can't see driving for free, especially when you don't know if the other area would be any better. Driving is work and a person should be paid for their work.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
You should be getting paid 20% of all charges except the fsc and tolls.If your not getting paid dead head,whether your driving or not,you should still get paid .My co gets a percentage of all the moneys i get paid,plus a bonus on the accessorial charges,but he doesnt get paid for the fsc or tolls

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
I would also add that if you are a team driver then you should at very least be consulted prior to accepting any load offers. If my teamer started leaving me out of all the decisions he'd be wearing pink underware or wake up with one eyebrow shaved off, or something - but that all came with the worlds tinyest handcuffs (wedding rings).

Mypie

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
A lead driver has the last word in our trucks, but a good lead will discuss every move with his codriver. It is, after all, a TEAM truck.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
As the owner I decide what we do or don't do.Since the co driver hasnt an investment,or the expenses in the truck,any load offer would make him money,but if you dead head to a short run,he would make a paycheck and the truck go in the red,so therefore,co driver gets no say in load opportunities.Back to the dead head,if your owner is dead heading to a different location,and if FDCC doesnt relocate him there,he doesnt get paid for the dead head move,and any percentage times 0 is still 0.
Gsmaker,what your asking should have been talked about be fore you ever signed a contract,or decided to work for this guy.

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
...Our payment agreement is that I recieve 20% of the run pay(total pay of the trip from shipper to consignee, minus the DH and FSC) Is this a fair amount or am I getting shorted?? I normally end up driving 75% of the run miles. Another is should I have an active say in what loads are accepted and what loads are turned down? I mean it is his truck and all, but I am not out here for the joyride. I wanna have that little slice of pie that is being sliced and quartered and then split in half. And where is a good free place to look for load opps(outside of what FDCC sends us)? My last question is just today I drove 600miles of a 823mile trip to get to a better board (or express center as FDCC calls it, I ran a van for Panther) and should I ask that my driving be somewhat compensated?? I know that getting to a better load place means quicker load offers and hence making better runs but driving that far on his "whim" should mean that he should offer to compensate right?

Seems most drivers get 40/60, or 60/40 of the revenue from the carrier. The lesser percentage doesn't pay for fuel. FSC is not included in that split, since it is to help offset fuel costs, and the driver getting the 40% isn't paying the fuel. For a team, that would translate into 20% each. Half as much revenue, but more load opportunities for teams. Maybe longer run offers as well.
Some carriers add a small deadhead pay per mile to help with the cost of fuel in getting to the shipper. From the numbers I've heard, that amount doesn't necessarily even cover the fuel cost just to get to the shipper.
When a load is offered, it needs to be determined whether the money being offered is worth the miles that will need to be run, including the deadhead to the shipper and to the layover.
Therefore, whatever run you and your codriver took which necessitated deadheading some 823 miles to a better layover spot afterwards, hopefully would have paid enough to make that feasible. If not, the person paying the fuel was probably not a very happy camper. That would mean you, in effect, were already paid to drive those 600 empty miles you drove to the better layover.
This business isn't a business where you get paid a flat rate per mile. Sometimes you get paid more and sometimes less, and you have to hope that at the end of the month, quarter, or year, you end up making enough money to satisfy yourself that it was a reasonable return for the use of your time, effort, and goals in life.
Like Nitecreacher said above, if you have no vested interest in the cost of fuel or truck, then of course any paying run is money to you, but not necessarily money to the overall profitability of a load.
My guess is if you're new and inexperienced, and you're second-guessing decisions and counting how much time each of you spends doing whatever needs to be done, to make sure it's equal, you're not going to go over too well as a co-driver.
It'd probably be better if you just sit back, do what's required, listen, take notes (mental ones), and learn all you can from your experiences, until you too are an expert. Things may start to click after awhile, and maybe some lightbulbs will turn on at some point, when you'll say to yourself, 'ah ha, so that's why we did this, or why we didn't do that'.