another new driver

G

just bought, paid cash for 2002 peterbilt 24ft, from my severnce package deal from my ex employer what is my steps of getting on the road, in the procces of applying for dot #, any information or job leads would be very appreciated live in warren michigan age 44 thank you

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
You should have come here earlier but I'd advise leasing on with a carrier rather than going through the expenses related to having your own authority and the hassles of finding your own loads . You can't be driving and looking for loads at the same time . You either need to be with a carrier and let dispatch be finding your next load or have your own authority and paying a broker a hefty fee and risk him keeping part or all of the fuel surcharge . It'll take over a month for DOT to check your MVR , insurance , etc. and give you authority . If you had applied to a carrier you'd be running by now if you qualify .

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
How is the truck equiped. That will tell us a little more. Sleeper, Liftgate, CDL or non CDL? Will you be running local, OTR?

G

let me finish about my new truck im really excited about it it has 48 inch two bunk sleeper, a 3.000 pound lift gate, just bought my tags and insurance today, 33,000# truck with leg dollies air brake,s 6 speed trans.back door 92wide by 90 tall roll up door 3126 cat, motor thanks for any feedback
:)

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
it's rare to hear somebody get excited over a 48" sleeper, a double bunk at that... I sure hope he's either solo or really close to his team mate... and the 3126 Cat... well, I'm sure somebody will pipe up about that. The 24 foot box is nice, that explains the sleeper size. The lift gate adds weight, but is nice to have on occassion.
Since you've got a lift gate, get a pallet jack into that box.

G

i plan on driving alone, except when i can, my 12 year old son can go, hopfully i can start off locally and get my feet wet, pallet jack covered, wheel dolly covered, 2 rows of e-track covered thanks again, go colts$$$$$$$$$$$$$

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
Not to jump on you at all, but why would you spend 30k+ for a truck if you had now idea what you were going to do with it, or even what you were getting into??

Also, just in case you haven't realized, truck stops, shipppers and recievers are no place for a 12 year old child..

Understand that you are going to have make sacrifices to be in the expediting industry. Weekends away from home, little or no sleep, missed birthday parties, school events, ect... If you are wanting to run solo and be home every night, I wish you the best.. But it's not realistic..

Start reading past posts and learn all you can..

Best of luck!!

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Check his profile . He's a single parent with joint custody . He has his son alternate weeks - all week . Wrong business for someone with those circumstances .

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>just bought, paid cash for 2002 peterbilt 24ft, from my
>severnce package deal from my ex employer what is my steps
>of getting on the road, in the procces of applying for dot
>#, any information or job leads would be very appreciated
>live in warren michigan age 44 thank you

Wow.

Do you have previous experience in the trucking industry or someone mentoring you who does?

The recommended way into the business is to drive for someone else for at least 2 - 3 years while you continue to learn about the business.

During that time you will gain valuable knowledge. One of the items you will learn is how much it costs to keep a truck on the road which leads to being able to make informed decisions about what loads you can or cannot accept.

Unfortunately, I think you have put the cart before the horse so to speak. You will be learning by the seat of your pants for the next few months. Hopefully your pants don't catch fire.

G

thats why our prison are so full its called commitment let me see joint or 4days a month mum mum hello let me tell ya i was there win my 12 year old last year stuck a doe with a arrow what a moment cried like baby, this is my decision based on my life, paid 19500 for truck 350000 miles great shape i got lucky, house paid for, 150000 in 401 44 years old you hit a soft spot

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Many of us can question his reasonings, but I will stick up for one thing I am proud of this guy for. He paid Cash he does not have to work his tail off when most others will.

As for his son, he is this childs Dad and I am sure knows best and will learn as he goes out and learns the ropes. As for what I see he needs to learn, that is Leasing onto a decent company, your most likely going to not earn squat local.

Begin your research (if I were in your shoes) and find an excellent carrier to help you succeed.

Dont let your hopes and dreams be diminished, I congratulate you on your decision to pay cash and not take on the burden of payments for the glory of to much truck for your ego.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Norm, One thing you might want to look into is hauling air frieght out of metro airport. You would be surprised how much air freight never see's an airplane. Anyway, 1 place to start is off of Middlebelt rd. across from the airport. There is a Denny's restaurant there next to a motel, take the road between them straight back and there are a bunch of air forwarders there and some local pickup and delivery companys. Also there are alot more of these companys off of Wayne rd. and Goddard rd. Stop in them and see if any could use your truck and services. I used to trip lease with about 5 or 6 of them back in 94' with a van. It'll be great if you have your own authority, but if not you will need to be leased on with 1 of them then. And you will need insurance. Thats another subject. Depending if on your own or not.

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I really don’t want to discourage you, but I find this a perfect example of, well jumping into something with no rhyme or reason.

Ok paying cash for the truck is one thing but how about insurance?

What about a reserve just in case?

Any contingent planning done if this fails?

Willing to take a $35K loss?

Will the insurance company allow you to take the kid along?

For someone who just started, I expect insurance will be 50% of the price of the truck due to the fact that this is a single truck and single inexperienced driver.

What about properly setting up a business to cover his a**.

I agree with Crazynuff about this.

There is far more things to get involved with when you have a severance like the auto workers are getting.

Again not trying to discourage you just being realistic.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i'm sure he is not the only person on here to spend his sevrence on a truck. alot of expediters i know got in this business off of uaw severence.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Something about this post smells fishy.Maybe I am wrong but I think deano peterbilt might be screwing with you guys. He goes out and spends a lot of money on a truck without knowing anything about how to start getting loads, yet he knows how to get his own authority?
That alone seems hard to believe. Why would he bring up the fact (without being prompted) that he paid cash for the truck and that he has a 401 k with a respectable amount of cash in it? In the way he opens the post it almost seems he is inviting controversy. Just a hunch.If I am wrong let me apologize now, but I have a pretty strong BS meter and the needle is buried in the red.....

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Sure sounds a little strange . Paying cash for a truck is nice but unless he has cash to pay for the next one this one is going to have to work pretty hard . True he won't have to bust his tail but what percentage of the time will he be available and how will dispatchers deal with that ? Even with his own authority he has to be ready to provide service when needed and an older truck isn't going to impress potential customers .

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
"With a paid for equipment he won't have to bust his tail"
Not a healthy attitude to begin any business with, in my view. But, if he chooses to be a part timer, so be it. His Carrier will soon figgure that out. Having to be a full-time parent half the time would certainly present some unique difficulties. Make sure you make all your agendas known while shopping for a Carrier. If all you're cards are on the table, it will certainly make your entry into this business less frustrating.