another dumb question

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I was told that this was never to happen again and a perfect track record would be required for future W/G drivers.

Rich,
You're funny. ;)

Of course WG qualifications are strict, I was told without hesitation that I must have a perfect record; no accidents, no violations, no late deliveries, no out of service violation. There is no better person to qualify for WG but a person with zero trucking experience with a clean driving and employment record because there are no late deliveries and no out of service violation. Who cares if they kind of ding up the truck or add a couple scratches to it, it only matters if they have no late deliveries, no out of service violations and are in uniform when they are operating it.

But seriously, the problem is that there are too many things that can go wrong not using a strict path of putting people into the program. I found one couple didn't understand how shoring bars worked (note shoring bars not load bars) or how to stack pallets on them with decking or even how to really secure drums. I spent two hours with them teaching them how to use what was on the truck. I don't know how they got by and the last I heard they were still in the WG program.

I think that there are many people in the FedEx fleet who would be good WG operators. The problem is that FedEx is strict on the requirements but are not on the experience. Let the people have their dogs, cats, Iguanas, chinchillas on board, let the solo drivers be in the WG program, let people with older trucks be in the program and so on BEFORE allowing new people from outside for fleet owners.

Chevyman1

Seasoned Expediter
Trying to get into expediting trucking, seeing what owners offer for team drivers (ex. 60/40 or 70/30) how does all this pay out is what I am trying to figure out. Can someone explain the pay how it works. Also some say you pay fuel,tolls, etc. but you get 100% on fuel surcharges?????? Yes I am new at all this but need to know what it all means before I get into it and decide who would be a good owner to work for and not get screwed on pay. Anyone with advice would be appreciated..........Thanks

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
60/40 or 40/60 usually refers to the pay to the truck. Example is if a trip generates $1,000 gross revenue at a a 60/40 split you would earn $600.00. In most cases you would be buying the fuel used for that trip and possibly tolls. A 40/60 split would earn you $400.00 but the owner of the truck would pay for the fuel used plus other trip expenses.

Just about all of the companies add in a FSC which is a fuel surcharge over and above their normal tariff rates. This charge is based on the miles driven for the trip. If you are buying the fuel you should receive 100% of the FSC,if the owner is buying the fuel he or she keeps it.

You need to have a written formal agreement with the owner over thse and other issues. Unfortunately there are many stories on EO about drivers not getting what they thought they would earn and vice versa owners having drivers abandon the trucks etc. Look through the EO classified help wanted sections. If an owner is vague about payment and terms of payment, go away,at the same time make yourself someone he or she wants to hire.

Last edited: