another dumb question

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Located this on FedEx website

"White Glove Services provides specially equipped straight trucks and tractor-trailers as well as flatbeds."

Catfish304

Seasoned Expediter
White Glove is the "Elite" group of O/O leased to Fed-Ex. You have to be leased to them for a while and work your way up. Your driving record and DAC has to be clean. No late P/U's or deliveries. You work hard to get to White Glove but, the rewards are nice. The White Glove straight trucks are usually the ones that have a monster sleeper and a little 10' or 12' box. The cargo is usually a couple of skids and pays very well.

Catfish304

Seasoned Expediter
The only dumb question is a question that you don't ask...White Glove is the "elite" division of Fed Ex. You have to be leased to them for a few years before being considered eligable for White Glove. Your MVR and DAC has to be clean. No late P/U's or deliveries that are your fault. You have to work hard to get there but the rewards are great. The W.G. straight trucks are usually the ones that have monster sleepers with only a 10' or 12' box. Usually only a skid or two and pay is very good. White Glove is a good goal to work towards if you don't plan to drive forever.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is a link to the FedEx Custom Critical Solutions web page. Click on White Glove Services to learn more about this component of the larger company. White Glove trucks and drivers do more than is listed here, but this will give you a start.

When available, White Glove trucks and drivers are also used by FedEx Custom Critical to provide Surface Expedite and Air Expedite services to customers. Click on those links for more.

Additional information for prospective contractors is on the FedEx Custom Critical Owner Operators page. This page does not list the additional vehcile and driver requirements for White Glove. Contact a FedEx recruiter for the most accurate and current information. Call: (866) 711-3599.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
The only dumb question is a question that you don't ask...White Glove is the "elite" division of Fed Ex. You have to be leased to them for a few years before being considered eligable for White Glove. Your MVR and DAC has to be clean. No late P/U's or deliveries that are your fault. You have to work hard to get there but the rewards are great. The W.G. straight trucks are usually the ones that have monster sleepers with only a 10' or 12' box. Usually only a skid or two and pay is very good. White Glove is a good goal to work towards if you don't plan to drive forever.

I started with FedEx in 2005 with no CDL experience driving solo for a fleet owner. The truck had most of the equipment required for white glove and I was dispatched several times on white glove runs. One of those things being in the right place at the right time sure enjoyed the extra pay for those loads.

After two months I changed fleet owners applied and was accepted as a white glover went to A&E and Radioactive Training started driving a white glove team truck. All ready to go out there and enjoy the extra pay for white glove runs and bingo first dozen or so runs were all surface expedite. One of those things being in the wrong place at the wrong time or something like that.

Besides having the required equipment in truck we were required to wear FedEx shirt during pick up and delivery. Part of their spiel WG dispatchers would always ask if we wore proper uniform when picking up and delivering load.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
White Glove is a good goal to work towards if you don't plan to drive forever.

For some folks, that may be true. There are also some who love the work and would drive forever if they could. Diane and I are among them. We love our life and work on the road and will retire only when age catches up with us and our bodies are no longer capable of doing the work.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have either a Dumb or uninformed question. When O/O or subcontracted drivers talk of "A" "B" "C" or "D" Unit's exactly what type of Trucks are being talked about. I drive a Ford E 350 extended Cargo Van. Thanks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The letter designations are in inverse proportion to the vehicle size: A is a minivan, (I've never actually seen one of those), B is a cargo van, C & D are small & large straight trucks, (not sure where the division falls), and E is a tractor/trailer. Additionally, C, D, & E may be designated CR, DR, and ER, for refrigerated.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Thank you Cheril122, Terryandrene also answered. The difference between C & D is C Dock high 5000 lb freight load and D Dock high 13,000 freight load. Again thanks to all who have helped answer my questions from time to time. It is appreciated.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I've actually seen one A unit before. It was a white Ford F-250 long wheelbase pick up with a camper shell on it. He was leased on with CTX. We were down in Laredo and we spoke for a moment. He said they were required to have either 6 or 8 feet of cargo space. I can't remeber. He said he was just about ready to hang it up and get a d unit. This was back in 05.

I know courier companies use these vehicles quite a bit. I had thought about leasing my Dodge Dakota on with a courier once, but changed my mind. I talked to a few people that used to do it, and it seems to be like alot of other things. The money used to be pretty good, then everyone heard about it and got in. Now the rates are to low to make a go at it. I took their advice and didn't try.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And don't forget the one other thing required to be a White Glove driver, you have to be cool!!!! LOL Layoutshooter

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
when I started with Roberts Exprees in 1984,i had a friend that had his cadillac leased on as an A unit,plus he didnt have to pay tax on purchase

barney

Expert Expediter
Back when I was driving,98-03, the WG dispatchers really seemed to know what they were doing. I enjoyed working with them, their profesionalism ( my big word or the day ) made the job that much easier.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
White Glove is the "Elite" group of O/O leased to Fed-Ex. You have to be leased to them for a while and work your way up. Your driving record and DAC has to be clean. No late P/U's or deliveries. You work hard to get to White Glove but, the rewards are nice. The White Glove straight trucks are usually the ones that have a monster sleeper and a little 10' or 12' box. The cargo is usually a couple of skids and pays very well.

In a perfect world,this would be how it worked.However,the world is not perfect so really about all it takes is a fleet owner that has a truck already in the white glove fleet and can then put a brand new team or solo in it and they would be "white glovers".A very bad situation IMO.DD.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
In a perfect world,this would be how it worked.However,the world is not perfect so really about all it takes is a fleet owner that has a truck already in the white glove fleet and can then put a brand new team or solo in it and they would be "white glovers".A very bad situation IMO.DD.

It is a bad situation and really cheapens the idea or concept of elite team that the company presents as highly professional and know what they are doing at all time to the customer. I know of two couples who got their start in WG, not a bit of driving experience between the four of them in anything larger than a small pickup but FedEx accepted them into the program because of the owner of the truck and they did ok but they didn't know what they were doing.

cliffn

Expert Expediter
Just a couple of comments on the some of the posts in this thread.

First, I think the term "white glove" although probably originated by Fedex is sometime being used as that type of load even when being contracted to some other company. Last week my wife and I did a "white glove" load (it said so on the paperwork) and we are not leased to FedEx.

Second, I do think the weight requirements for C,D and other units probably vary from company to company. When we first bought our truck, there was no way we could carry 13,000 pounds but we were still listed as a D unit. Since then, we have added a tag axle so that is no longer an issue. :):)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Just a couple of comments on the some of the posts in this thread.

First, I think the term "white glove" although probably originated by Fedex is sometime being used as that type of load even when being contracted to some other company. Last week my wife and I did a "white glove" load (it said so on the paperwork) and we are not leased to FedEx.

Very true. I know some on here will tout that "white glove" service originated with Fed CC, but actually it is a term that has existed in freight for many years. Ordinarily, if I saw the term "white glove service" on a BOL, it meant that It probably required inside delivery/unpack/debris removal and/or some other special handling.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is an individual that has posted on this thread that was made a W/G driver with zero experience in commercal driving plus zero exprerience with Fdxcc policies and requiremnts. Him and his wife were put on because the owner had a W/G equipped truck. Within a month they ignored a low clearance sign and hit a bridge,had several minor incidents,ruined the rear tires by not allowing for curb clearance when turning. etc. Needless to say the fleet owner regreted his decision and also so did the management of the White/Glove Division. I was told that this was never to happen again and a perfect track record would be required for future W/G drivers.