Another change coming to you....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
DOT Proposes to Cut ?Burdensome? Trucking Paperwork | JOC

JOC Staff | Aug 01, 2013 3:49PM EDT
print

TruckAnthony Foxx, U.S. transportation secretary, has announced a proposal to eliminate a “burdensome” daily paperwork requirement for professional truck drivers, in order to reduce costs to the industry by an estimated $1.7 billion.

Current federal regulations require commercial truck drivers to conduct pre- and post-trip equipment inspections and file driver vehicle inspection reports after each inspection, regardless of whether or not an issue requiring repairs is identified. However, under the proposed change, commercial truck drivers would continue conducting pre- and post-trip inspections, but DVIRs would only be required if defects or deficiencies were discovered by or reported to the driver.

“President Obama challenged his administration to find ways to cut waste and red tape, a challenge I pledged to meet during my confirmation hearing,” Foxx said. “With today’s proposal, we are delivering on that pledge, saving business billions of dollars while maintaining our commitment to safety.”

“We can better focus on the 5 percent of problematic truck inspection reports by eliminating the 95 percent that report the status quo,” added Anne S. Ferro, Federal Motor Carrier Safety administrator. “Moving to a defect-only reporting system would reduce a significant paperwork burden facing truck drivers and save the industry billions without compromising safety.”

The FMCSA will collect and review comments on the proposed rule.

The American Trucking Associations has applauded the proposal as a “good first step,” saying it will provide a “much-needed” reduction in paperwork for the industry:

“ATA appreciates the Obama administration’s proposal to provide relief on a longstanding paperwork-related burden in the trucking industry, and we look forward to working with Secretary Foxx to implement it in the near future,” said Bill Graves, ATA president and CEO, in a written statement. “Though this step will provide modest relief to professional drivers and motor carriers, ATA is optimistic this signals Secretary Foxx’s willingness to provide reasonable and appropriate relief to the industry and he will quickly act to provide relief on more substantive issues.”

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
DOT Proposes to Cut ?Burdensome? Trucking Paperwork | JOC
However, under the proposed change, commercial truck drivers would continue conducting pre- and post-trip inspections, but DVIRs would only be required if defects or deficiencies were discovered by or reported to the driver.

“President Obama challenged his administration to find ways to cut waste and red tape, a challenge I pledged to meet during my confirmation hearing,” Foxx said. “With today’s proposal, we are delivering on that pledge, saving business billions of dollars while maintaining our commitment to safety.”

“We can better focus on the 5 percent of problematic truck inspection reports by eliminating the 95 percent that report the status quo,” added Anne S. Ferro, Federal Motor Carrier Safety administrator. “Moving to a defect-only reporting system would reduce a significant paperwork burden facing truck drivers and save the industry billions without compromising safety.”

The FMCSA will collect and review comments on the proposed rule.

The American Trucking Associations has applauded the proposal as a “good first step,” saying it will provide a “much-needed” reduction in paperwork for the industry:

“ATA appreciates the Obama administration’s proposal to provide relief on a longstanding paperwork-related burden in the trucking industry, and we look forward to working with Secretary Foxx to implement it in the near future,” said Bill Graves, ATA president and CEO, in a written statement. “Though this step will provide modest relief to professional drivers and motor carriers, ATA is optimistic this signals Secretary Foxx’s willingness to provide reasonable and appropriate relief to the industry and he will quickly act to provide relief on more substantive issues.”

This little peice of paper has never been a burden to the truck that I can see..In fact it could be my only agurement/proof during a roadside inspection that my stuff was in order before starting the trip. Without it how do I tell or prove/agrue my lights where working when I left.
Now granted I agree this will save the carriers/companys millions and millions without having to monitor inspection reports and will give them the arguement that the driver never reported bad tires since they no longer need a inspection report they can throw away any that are received.
I see no savings here to the truck. I never felt this was a cost to the truck. If anything I see drivers that didnt want to do a pretrip before doing it less now if this goes into effect.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It MAY be a good idea, but what's the catch? This administration does NOTHING without a catch. As Slo-Ride said, that report was the only LEGAL proof that an inspection was done, for what little is was worth.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This little peice of paper has never been a burden to the truck that I can see..In fact it could be my only agurement/proof during a roadside inspection that my stuff was in order before starting the trip. Without it how do I tell or prove/agrue my lights where working when I left.

It may be an argument, but it's not proof. Maybe that's why they're considering the change.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
It may be an argument, but it's not proof. Maybe that's why they're considering the change.

As soon as I finnishing completing the VI form that alone is proof I did it. Now if he finds worn out brake shoes that would be proof I didnt do the Ptrip unless the brakes are still smoking hot.
At least with a reasonable and responsible arguement with any reasonable LEO we may stand a fighting chance. Slim chance but a chance. The old saying: Ifs your day in the barrel its your day,, and no peice of paper is going to change this.
With this change we will now have no proof a Inspection was done and maybe increase their chances of getting in my wallet.
My vote would go towards keeping the Inspection sheets. I assume this would be set up to save the big carriers money in the saftey dept. Equaling Millions and millions of dollars