Am I getting a good deal on this Sprinter??

bimbim29

Active Expediter
I am getting ready to purchase a new Sprinter and wanted to see if anyone thought the dealer could do better on the price. It is a 2011 basic Mercedes Sprinter 2500 ext with only the comfort package added. Sticker was 41,600 plus destination and all those other fun charges - 43,660.00. It is slightly hail damaged (maybe 12 dime sized dings) and they want to sell for 39,660. What do you think? Are there better deals out there? Or does it sound about right?
I would appreciate the input.
Thanks!:p

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I am getting ready to order one specd the way I want it, 3700 off of anything I want and I haven't even started to haggel. I'd say you are not getting a good deal with hail damage. Maybe another 3 or 4k, I might consider it.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Chances are that it could be bought for that $39 number without the hail damage...but you are not going to get another 3-4 grand off for it either....ask to see the estimate for the repairs, or take it for a test drive to a good bodyshop you trust..see what the price to repair the damage would be, then take 30% off that number and use it as a starting point to get that amount off the $39 grand number....the 30% would be the profit that would be in the BS estimate, and no one s going to give you a total retail amount as a discount...it is always going to be the "cost" numer they would be willing to work from...

We got $4000 off my SIL's new 2010 MB extra long extra high Sprinter...

bimbim29

Active Expediter
So what I am hearing is that 4k or so sho'uld be there for the taking and then hail damage on top of that. Does that sound right?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
pretty much..but keep in mind, the dealer my not have taken any insurance money to fix the hail damage hoping to sell it as is and not put a claim in that would raise his rates...so while it is certainly worth some kind of discount because of the damage, you might not get much if any, and I'd pass if they don't come up with a decent dscount...but the other thing is, don't go in just looking for numbers, be ready and able to buy..don't waste their time looking for a "shopping" price...

One thing to think about...there are sprinters sitting all over the country..make calls and tell them on the phone they get one chance to give you the bottom line price because you will have to fly in to buy it and you ain't playing around..my SIL flew 900 miles to get his....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree. I'd keep shopping and get firm numbers elsewhere. In this economy that doesn't sound like a "great" deal, especially with the damage.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
shop around everyone is hungry to sell anything now adays ! make them beg for your money walk away they will come down $5k more starving dealers all over

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am not telling you that you have gotten all the money that the dealer can give up at this point, but I will tell you no dealer is going to give to $9000 to $10,000 off the price of a new 2011 sprinter...you can shop until you die, that is not going to happen..unless that hail damage is over $8000...and from what you described, that isn't the case...

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Crap.................nevermind. :eek:

Don't have Kids, or any that I know of or any that might be out there that are married.

Have a Sister-In-Law though................

I'm an idiot..........................:p

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
The incentives on the 2010s Sprinters are 5k, on a 2011 3700k so 4k will work. The inventory is getting thin on the 2010s. Check out Stoop. I think they have a 2010 170 ext left for about 39 or 40k without hail damage accessory.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dry ice will sometimes pop the hail dings out...The dent doctor can do it as well.

Most new cars and such have a 5% markup. That is not counting the "Hold Back" that is on the invoice, Hard pax and soft pax that is added by the dealer. I got my 05 sprinter at invoice less the 1,047 "Hold Back", they still made money, and was happy to sell it to me.

Yes 10 grand off can be obtained if the auto maker has money to give....this is normally at the end of the model year though.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Currently, Sprinters have a 7% markup from the factory. That is not including any "trunk money" or CSI money.

Regards,
JoeS

PS: In 2011 models, the Premium Package is not as extensive as the 2010's. Some of the goodies were stripped out.

Last edited: