alternator

Brandy

Expert Expediter
I can't tell you the exact price on how much will be charged, but I can say that if your broke then it wouldn't matter cause how ever much is, it would be too expensive for you.

Sean

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Call Bill at Ecorse Electric (near Detroit Metro Airport) (1 734 729 3640). I have found them to be a great source for alternators, generators and batteries. They have also chased down electical problems in my truck and installed my inverter.

Drive Safe.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I an!t speak for the GMC or Cat engine but I had a alternator installed on my Cummins C engine in less then 1 hour by Montgomery Freightliner. Alternator plus labor was $160.00.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Hey Brandy, I didn't need any smart remarks, I just needed some info. One of my trucks was having problems, and my driver thought that's what it was and I just needed a ballpark figure. I also think I can cover ANY cost to ANY of my trucks, so I guess I'M NOT BROKE
And thanks Larry, my driver was right by Ecorse and it was just a wire rubbing on it, and they fixed it fast and no problem, thanks for the info, I'm outta here

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don’t think the kid was directing a derogatory statement at you paperback, but was saying that more so about himself. But I could be wrong!

I can tell you where not to take the truck to get fixed, and that is back to the dealer. It would probably be cheaper to take the entire cooperation out to dinner than it would cost you to have a GMC Dealer put one in the truck.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thing to watch these days is a shop's labor cost. A couple years ago, most were around $65/hr. Now many are up to about $85/hr. That could make a $150.00 alternator cost around $250.00 to get replaced if they charged you a full hour of labor and you add your local tax on to it. The only things I don't do myself now are the things I absolutely can't, but have to admit that it's getting harder and harder as they make the trucks more and more complex.
-Weave-

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Well, It took a bit of trouble shooting with my driver, but we got it. Alt was fine, truck was not getting proper power, so he happend to be on a load only 40 miles from me so I went and looked at the truck...... Air filter was very dirty, and it needed 2 new fuel filters, but I also needed 3 new batteries, and now it's working fine

paperback1

Expert Expediter
NOPE!!! It wasn't batteries after all, was the alt!! After new batteries, truck gave out in london,on so, I picked up the part in Syracuse,NY (1 hr from my home) and drove my car to London, and changed it my self, saving a lot of money on labor, tow charges, and service call. Plus, my wife and son got to go on a small road trip

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
The way I read it, Sean, or Brandy, whoever he is, was being a smart ##### with paperback. Ya know, maybe thats the reason that theres so few posts. One person asks a question or makes a statement and and the reply is either offensive, vulgar, or just plain idiot talk. But yet, theres all these posts wondering why posting is slow. HMMMMMMMMMMM????

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After an experience Weave and I had with a gentleman last year, I decided that it was best just to ignore the comments of individuals who were obviously trying to cause trouble or upset others. Just like many of the aggressive drivers, the internet is the only opportunity some people have to demonstrate how important they think they are.

Rule #1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Rule #2. It's all small stuff.
Rule #3. Go back to Rule #1.

Drive Safe.

CHICAGO MAN

Expert Expediter
HEY PAPERBACK DON'T WORRY ABOUT HIM, I HOPE HE WAS JUST KIDDING WITH YA. ANYWAYS, THANKS FOR YOUR POST UPDATES, I WAS HAVING SAME PROBLEM WITH MY TRUCK, AND WAS GONNA BUY NEW BATTERIES, BUT I WENT AND BOUGHT TESTER FOR $20 AND FOUND IT WAS ALTERNATOR AND HAD MY BUDDY PUT IN IN FOR ME AND SAVED ME THE COST OF NEW BATTERIES, SO THANKS TO YOU I SAVE SOME BUCKS$$$ THANKS PAPERBACK.
P.S. I'M NEW TO THIS SITE AND I THINK ITS COOL:7

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Zingfu

As I said in the reply I may be wrong. You bring up a very interesting point. Ever notice the number of threads replied to when there is a bunch of negative cut ups, and BS in a thread. There are very little replies to the positive threads. Larry makes a good statement, and I’m will to bet others feel the same way. I’ve noticed that most of the activity anymore is about all negative things. If one of the companies isn’t getting bashed, then some one is acting as if and posing as a want-a-be to steal members ideas. Regardless of what you think of a person, if someone needs some help, we should give it to him. If you want to act like a nut, then go elsewhere.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I knew after one posting from him that streetsweeper is a very knowledgeable mechanic, and he was just messing around. He has been helping me out with some serious issues here, and would share his vast mechanical know-how with anyone. So how about some asparagus-onion shakes on the house?x( How the heck does a question about alternators turn to reproductive body parts?
-Weave-

:) Peace Brothers:)

vince123

Expert Expediter
I don't know why he called paperback a dickhead, he is my owner, and I don't think that there are many owners that would leave their house to do this. I am happy that he did this, he also paid for hotels, and $150 day for being broke down. I don't think a lot of other guys would do this. So, dickhead, I don't think so. I'm not kissing up, but just stating facts, he is a great owner

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Paperback!
If I were you I wouldn’t loose any sleep over someone liking you or not.
I have learned allot about meeting people and the things they will say and on paper, or on the CB radio, the phone, or the Internet. You get the picture! It is a complete turnaround than if you meet them in person. First impressions are lasting impressions, if you know what I mean. Most of us on this forum are total strangers in the trucking industry. Strike 1!!! Our ego is already the size of the load we are carrying. Take a look at your avatar. Most people look at that as sign of supper power. (ask yourself) Are you that strong? Now look at your sig. Are you perfect? What impression would you form about someone that had that on their file? Negativity comes natural to us. I heard a guy ask, did you ever see any books on how to be negative? To be positive one has to work at it, and most people would rather not. Look at all the books on how to be positive. Millions of dollars are being made on how to be positive. Why is that?

Take this forum and most of the chitter chatter on the CB, What do we have??? There are more Rambo’s than we care to listen to, so we shut the radio off. Then I get a ticket!!! Ha! Ha!! I think when members see that, because they don’t know you, they form an opinion, and are telling you what it is. JUST MY THOUGHTS