Already own a great van - Now looking to expedite

Dalton

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello,
Years ago when I was in the market for a pickup truck I decided to go with a cargo van instead and I've never looked back. I have a little weekend "man with a van" moving business I do on the side but after recent circumstances with my main job I've decided I'd like to get into expediting.
I have a few questions I'd like to ask the community.

1) I don't have my CDL yet. I more than likely need to get one, correct? Should I go ahead and get my CDL before I even call around for work?
2) I've always used State Farm insurance and had good luck with them. Will I have to switch over to a special commercial brand of insurance or would State Farm more than likely be able to bump me up into a commercial type of insurance under their own roof?
3) My van is a 2012 Chevy half ton. I was fortunate enough to purchase her right after Obama bailed out GM years ago and the company was trying to rebuild trust in the market. I landed a "forever warranty" on the engine, transmission, and drivetrain so my van is the perfect choice for racking up tons of miles on. I've read that some companies want the owner operators truck to be less than 5 years old. Is this pretty common? She's always been well maintained and has never let me down. Hoping her age won't be a hindrance.

I just yesterday discovered that expediting was a thing so I'm as wet behind the ears as they come.
If y'all care to share any additional advice, I'm all ears.

Thank y'all for your time.

-Dalton

Last edited:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
For most van companies 2012 is at the tail end of specs. No you do not need a CDL but if you're below 40 get one anyway because it has more long term options. Yes, you will need commercial insurance. Contact CIS Bath, OH. They are on this website. Talk to a couple or recruiters for info but don't believe everything you hear. Finally, I learned this business by signing on with Bolt, Toledo OH.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Dalton and Grizzly

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Truck looks good but it has three major failings: one, it's another van, of which there are too many out here, it's a lowtop, and the potential deal breaker- it's a half ton. Too light for the hauling it would need to do. My advice? Get your CDL and use it for a straight truck. The van you have? Keep it as a personal vehicle, set it up for camping, recreation, etc.

You have a LOT of homework to do; browse these forums going back about two years. Not every word, of course; you'll figure out what you need to know as you go.

Another word of advice: take your van on a three day explore. Go about 150-200 miles from home, having packed only clothing and food, as well as a mattress and sleeping bag. Stay away from motels; you'll need to go to truckstops for showers. Don't forget to cover your windows and put up a privacy curtain (a dark shower curtain will do), because you don't want to start your trucking career with an indecency rap

Good luck and don't forget coffee

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Truck looks good but it has three major failings: one, it's another van, of which there are too many out here, it's a lowtop, and the potential deal breaker- it's a half ton. Too light for the hauling it would need to do. My advice? Get your CDL and use it for a straight truck. The van you have? Keep it as a personal vehicle, set it up for camping, recreation, etc.

You have a LOT of homework to do; browse these forums going back about two years. Not every word, of course; you'll figure out what you need to know as you go.

Another word of advice: take your van on a three day explore. Go about 150-200 miles from home, having packed only clothing and food, as well as a mattress and sleeping bag. Stay away from motels; you'll need to go to truckstops for showers. Don't forget to cover your windows and put up a privacy curtain (a dark shower curtain will do), because you don't want to start your trucking career with an indecency rap

Good luck and don't forget coffee
Great advise!!

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Dalton

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As has been noted, the half-ton will be a bigger hindrance than will be the age of the van. You'll get fewer load opportunities because of it, and with the cargo van market already over-saturated, that will mean even that much more sitting between loads.

You will need expediting insurance. Trucking insurance is different from regular ol' commercial insurance, and expediting is different still from regular trucking insurance. You can count on one hand how many insurers will write expediting insurance. Go with CIS.

Reactions: Dalton

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ever thought about maybe working for a courier company as an IC? There is good and bad companies just like any transportation business. I've managed to make a pretty good living in the 15 years I have been a courier in the DC/NOVA/Baltimore areas. Less stringent insurance requirements and courier companies love vans too.

Last edited:

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Been @ this 6 years myself, all of the above is correct & sound info. To many rats, not enough cheese out here.
A CDL B is a lot easier to obtain than a CDL A.
A TWIC & passport card are also useful (after the CDL).