All-State Express

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats where we part company on the DH issue......DH is 100% the responsibility of the O/O

I guess it all depends on how you define deadhead. At Panther there are two types of deadhead that are paid.

1. Deadhead. All miles traveled from your current position to the shipper. All miles paid.

2. Empty Move. All miles from your current location to approved relocation city (board). All miles paid. Empty moves do come with some strings attached and fine print. If you refuse a load after an empty move you will not get paid.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess it all depends on how you define deadhead. At Panther there are two types of deadhead that are paid.

1. Deadhead. All miles traveled from your current position to the shipper. All miles paid.

2. Empty Move. All miles from your current location to approved relocation city (board). All miles paid. Empty moves do come with some strings attached and fine print. If you refuse a load after an empty move you will not get paid.
It's still the basically the same Moot
Any and all empty unpaid miles is deadhead.
And then there is an empty move now paid at a rate below in most cases a persons CPM so they still lose money ....
And since we've always used 20-30% as a norm for CV deadhead. To deadhead 240 miles for a 1200 mile load is acceptable as that is in the high end of 20%
That load from SD to Texas was 130 DH for almost 1300 mile load... That's only 10%

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's nothing compared to a 300 DH @ 10 cpm after the first 100 miles, for a 4-500 loaded @ 91 cpm...
.91 is a reasonable rate.....but after ....thats a turndown load....unless its taking me home....or bringing me back into the lanes....
that would be 455 + 20 for the dh....475$ divide by 800= .5937 ALL mile rate....
so why would anyone even run this would be my question?...unless it was my home load or something...

My point is....there is NO excuse to run tons of DH...its the drivers fault not the carriers. if the pays not right....just say NO thank you...

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My point is....there is NO excuse to run tons of DH...its the drivers fault not the carriers. if the pays not right....just say NO thank you...
It's still too slow to turn 'em down just like that. Next load offer might show up 1-2 days later,especially when you're talking about ASE. Or next week. One of my drivers missed a call, he called them back two minutes later, but the load was already gone. Then he sat for another two days in the same place...

Last edited: