Alec Baldwin

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And turtle ballistic glass is used when blanks are fired at the camera to protect the crew from the wad and powder. Had that glass shield been up there might not have been any injuries.
It depends on the type of blanks to be fired, whether the blanks are light load, which is basically a cap gun with no wadding, a medium load with a louder bang plus some wadding, or a full load for the muzzle flash, bang, and visible recoil.

But ballistic glass is virtually never set up for a cold gun.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So is the Academy award winning actress that portrayed a serial killer, Sharon Stone?
I really don't want to make this about me, her, or our friendship, but no, it's not Sharon Stone. That would be great, though. :p

My actress friend (Charlize Theron) played Aileen Wuornos in the movie Monster, where despite having an initial budget of $1.5 million (later investments bumped it up to about $5 million) guns and gun safety played a prominent role in the filming. Wuornos killed 7 men by shooting them at point blank range. Everyone on set was anal about the weapons safety protocols, and ever day that involved a gun started with a full safety meeting with anyone who would be on set that day, including cast, crew and visitors. I was on set several times, 15 days total, but not in a row, mainly for moral support for Chaz because she was an emotional wreck during the times of the most difficult scenes.

Funny story... There's one scene near the end of the movie where Aileen shoots and kills a man on a bridge, and she is distraught to the point where she throws the gun off the bridge into the river. Under the bridge in two rowboats on the water were crews with large fishing nets on 10 foot poles, to catch the gun. They didn't have the money in the budget for another gun if it was lost in the river.

But the guns used in that movie were real guns, kept at all times in a locked gun locker (like a big tub with wheels) with only one person in the entire production having the combination and the keys to the locks (3 locks). On days where the guns weren't to be used, the entire locker was locked in a safe inside the prop truck (like a UPS delivery van, kinda). The prop master was the only one with access to the prop truck, but he didn't have access to open the gun locker.

Last edited:

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I really don't want to make this about me, her, or our friendship, but no, it's not Sharon Stone. That would be great, though. :p

My actress friend (Charlize Theron) played Aileen Wuornos in the movie Monster, where despite a an initial budget of $1.5 million (later investments bumped it up to about $5 million) guns and gun safety played a prominent role in the filming. Wuornos killed 7 men by shooting them at point blank range. Everyone on set was anal about the weapons safety protocols, and ever day that involved a gun started with a full safety meeting with anyone who would be on set that day, including cast, crew and visitors. I was on set several times, 15 days total, but not in a row, mainly for moral support for Chaz because she was an emotional wreck during the times of the most difficult scenes.

Funny story... There's one scene near the end of the movie where Aileen shoots and kills a man on a bridge, and she is distraught to the point where she throws the gun off the bridge into the river. Under the bridge in two rowboats on the water were crews with large fishing nets on 10 foot poles, to catch the gun. They didn't have the money in the budget for another gun if it was lost in the river.

But the guns used in that movie were real guns, kept at all times in a locked gun locker (like a big tub with wheels) with only one person in the entire production having the combination and the keys to the locks (3 locks). On days where the guns weren't to be used, the entire locker was locked in a safe inside the prop truck (like a UPS delivery van, kinda). The prop master was the only one with access to the prop truck, but he didn't have access to open the gun locker.
That's the difference in proper safety on a movie set.....the wick movies I believe are to this level if not set to even higher standards because Keene Reeves went and did gun safety and shooter training with people that are national level professional shooters.....and turtle tell Charlie Theron she is hot!

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's the difference in proper safety on a movie set.....the wick movies I believe are to this level if not set to even higher standards because Keene Reeves went and did gun safety and shooter training with people that are national level professional shooters.....
I found this article that quoted Jensen Ackles, one of the actors in Rust who did an interview about the safety conditions on the set and the competence of the so-called armorer. It's astounding that someone like this would be allowed to even be near firearms, much less be responsible for safety, security and training. The quote is a bit long, but it speaks volumes about the all-around negligence and complete lack of quality management.

"I've got a 6 a.m. call tomorrow to have a big shoot-out. They had me pick my gun.
"They were like, 'Alright, what gun would you like?' and I was like, 'I don't know?' and the armorer was like, 'Do you have gun experience?' I was like, 'A little.' And she's like, 'OK, well, this is how you load it, this is how we check it and make sure it's safe.'"
"So she's like, 'OK, I'm gonna put some blanks in there and I want you to just go and fire off a couple rounds towards the hill.' And I was like, 'OK.' So I put the belt on, I put the gun there, and I walked out and she's like, 'Just make sure that you know, you pull the hammer all the way back and you aim at your target.' And I was like, 'OK, I got it.'"

As someone who has over 60 years of experience with firearms in addition to being an NRA certified Range Safety Officer and Firearms Instructor, I'm absolutely gobsmacked by the fact that people like this would be allowed to possess and use firearms without classroom and practical range training. I'm also surprised that they were able to find a company to provide liability insurance, considering their lack of competent personnel. The producers must have had prior knowledge of this incompetence and negligence on the set. That being the case, the civil trial lawyers will have plenty to work with when they get these clowns in court.

On a side note, Halyna Hutchins' surviving husband is an attorney with the Latham & Watkins LA office. He probably has contacts who specialize in torts. :dollarsign::dollarsign::dollarsign:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I doubt SNL will be doing a Weekend Update skit ala the "Claudine Longet Ski Shoot" about this incident. Not when it involves one of their own.

I shot Spider Sabich
but I did not shoot Jean Claude Killy

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the New Mexico authorities. If this was your average Joe Sixpack, he'd probably have already been charged with involuntary manslaughter.
Fifteen months later, Alec Baldwin along with the armorer will be charged with involuntary manslaughter. It's refreshing to see justice coming to rich, influential entertainers who can't buy or BS their way out of their grossly negligent actions.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hope he rots in jail....the idiot.
Yeah, definitely deserves it. But. That costs a lot of money and while 18 months is a lot more than an overnight it definitely has a visible end of the tunnel. What if he has to pay the maximum fine possible and do the maximum number of community service hours possible and then with the conviction the victims' families can sue him civilly for far more huge amounts.

Reactions: danthewolf00

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The fact that in the tv interview he stated he let his thumb off the hammer without it being locked back.....which is why it fired.....no he didn't pull the trigger but he failed in learning how the gun worked because he didn't like guns.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
live ammunition should NOT have been on set and mixed in with the other blank ammunition....but it rest at alex Baldwin's feet because he was the last person to touch the gun and he was suppose to check the gun before they shot the scene.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hopefully this causes production companies to have a gun safety meeting before the filming of any movie, get all of the actors together and spend an hour with them showing the weapons they are going to be using when filming and how to handle and use them safely.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Hopefully this causes production companies to have a gun safety meeting before the filming of any movie, get all of the actors together and spend an hour with them showing the weapons they are going to be using when filming and how to handle and use them safely.
The problem was alex Baldwin cheap budget to make said movie and he hired the cheapest armory handler he could because of his ego getting in the way.