Airtek front suspensions

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Hey guys,
Is anyone familiar with Airtek front air ride suspensions?
Or any of the new design front ends that incorporate air bags on the front axel.
How well do they work and does it affect the stable handling designed into truck suspensions?

Thanks,
Dan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They are made by Hendrickson. They are available on Freightliners, Western Stars, and I believe Volvos.
Most have said they do improve the ride.
Duval makes a aftermarket for spring suspensions. There are several others but cater more to the RV market.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Thanks Dave,
I was told they really make a big difference in the ride but are quite pricy. I drive a FL 106 (2001) and it handles great, but has a very stiff front suspension and I was looking for a way to soften the ride a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (no I'm not going to buy a new truck)LOL
Thanks,
Dan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Duval system is $1500 I believe. It is air bags between the frame and leaf springs. That cost or value would have to be weighed against the age of the truck to determine if it is a path to proceed on.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Dave,
Again thank you for the information. That price is not as bad as I had thought it may be. I will do more research to confirm this. My truck being a 2001 FL106 may to some not be worth investing a lot of money in because of resale value. My perspective at this time is I plan to keep the truck at least 2 more years, I have 520K on it now but the engine (Detroit 50) and the transmission, drive train (Eaton 9 speed)are in very good condition. The truck is almost paid for so I don't mind investing a little money to keep it up.
Improving the ride would be an area I would consider making an investment.
Thanks for your input,
Dan

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Shooter,

Interesting information !! I will investagate this more after the holidays.

Thanks,
Dan

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Mountianman,
I did a little checking on Liteflex and it seems they are more into the SUV Pickup and Vans than big trucks. I did not pursue it any further.
Dan

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I can't comment on the Airtek suspension, but I can say that I just had all 6 of the shocks on my '99 International 9200 replaced with Monroe Series 65 gas charged units and the difference in the ride is astounding!!! I also had the cab shocks replaced with OEM units as Monroe doesn't cover the particular application.

How many miles are on the shocks on your truck?? Might be something to consider, and lots less $$$ than converting to air ride.

Rex

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Road2rouen,
I am concidering trying new shocks before I do anything else. I read about the Monroe 65 and it sounded good. You replaced just the rear shocks with Monroe 65's and noticed that much improvement?
I think they make a replacment for my front shocks too on my freightliner.
I had a dealer quote me shocks and installation at $540.00, I thought that was a little high but maybe not, I'm going to get comparision quotes first.
He told me the ride would improve but most of all I would notice much better handleing. He said the truck would be a lot more stable when cornering and when being passed by another truck. (Turburance/sway)
How does that price sound to you?

Dan

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Out the door for $602....8 shocks and installation at an International dealer.

The Monroe shocks have a 2year/200K mile warranty. If I replace them in 200K they will have cost <$0.004 cents per mile. You also have to consider that tires will wear longer and the truck and it's components will take less pounding, so the overall cost per mile is even less.

Even better, the rig now takes less effort to drive, so there is less wear and tear on my ol' raggedy *##!

Rex

Packmule

Expert Expediter
rode2rouen,

Maybe that $540.00 was a good price? I think I only have 6 shocks instead of 8. Anyway thats how many he quoted. Sounds like a good investment.

Dan

ATeam

Retired Expediter
RE%3A Airtek front suspensions

Oops! I edited content out. Misunderstood what was being asked.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>I think I only have 6
>shocks instead of 8. Anyway thats how many he quoted. Sounds
>like a good investment.
>
>Dan

To clarify.....I had 6 Monroe shocks installed....2 on steer axle....2 on each drive axle.

I also had new cab shocks installed, but they are International replacements as Monroe does not make cab shocks for my rig.

The price I mentioned in my earlier post was for ALL of the shocks and installation labor.

I'm sitting in Buffalo,NY at the moment, having driven up to Belleville,MI from Avon,OH this morning to get loaded. My raving in the earlier post was about running empty. It's even mo' better with a load on!!!!

Rex