Aircards... again

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We've discussed them before, but I've seen changes in the way mine performs and wonder if others have, too. I'm with Alltel and was reasonably satisfied until the last few months. It never had broadband speed, but was good enough to do what I needed. What I'm seeing more and more is slower speeds and repeatedly being disconnected. It happens when I'm on towers other than Alltel. The folks at Alltel say that they're having problems with the companies they've partnered with, such as Sprint. As cards become more popular, the towers have trouble supporting the volume of data, even for their own cards. So, I'm just wondering how others are doing with their cards. I've got about 9 months left on my contract and at this point I would probably change providers.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
I have used verizon for years and the speed and coverage has greatly improved rarely do I bet dropped and I cannot remember the last place I could not get online

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got Sprint and sometimes I get the fast connection and usually I get just a connection and once in a great while I get nothing. I don't think it's changed much, if any, in the year I've had it. I had T-Mobile before this and it wasn't as good.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Verizon, no complaints. Faster speeds near major cities, slogging through jello speeds in the middle of nowhere, but have rarely been unable to connect.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri, how old is your card? I had to get a new one about 8 months ago it was an upgrade and I noticed that the speed everywhere greatly improved, they talked me into a usb720 saying it was the fastest one they offered. btw, how many still remember hooking up thru your cell phone thinking back it usually took a few minutes to load a page,how times have changed.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
We have Verizon ( had it since 2005) Works on Broadband near large
cities and National elsewhere. Lately we have been having trouble
connecting. Not sure if we have bug in computer or it's the card.

Just realized today that they have the USB card so we plan to
check those out.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My first aircard was from when I started driving a D unit, (couldn't zoom off to Mickey Dee's for Wifi anymore), about 6 months ago. That was an old card, which I updated with a brand new one, (cost $50, but with a rebate of $50, was free). When I still had connection & speed issues, tech support advised downloading the latest updated version - something I thought I already had, but getting a brand new aircard doesn't mean getting the latest update, I learned. Once I updated it to the newest version, it has been A-ok.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
well every now and again go into the vz manager and in the help tab there is a updates button to check for them I just ran mine while i was reading this and it had an update, I haven't updated for a long time so it could have been there for a while. BTW don't forget to use *228 on your phone to update it they recommmend you do it at least once a month