air bag replacement

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

anyone ever replace there own airbags before?

I was under truck and noticed one of mine is leaking and I would rather keep the money they would charge for labor and replace all 4 of them it doesnt look to hard but is there any tricks to this?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They usually aren't too bad. Biggest issue is how much corrosion there is on the fittings ect. If it is a KW (I'm assuming) I would check to ensure the leakage isn't coming from the regulator box. We have had to replace several over the years on different KW's.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

you was right dave real simple it is a volvo I no longer have a kw I drove a t-2000 when I first signed on here thats why the screen name.

now the regulator box is that the control monted on the side of the frame with the steel rod that runs down and when the arm is pushed up it adds air to your bags?

and if you know the control I'm talking about is there supposed to be any play at all in that?mine has a few inches before it starts adding air and that is my next concern.

I know the bag was leaking air when I put my finger over it I could tell.but i cant find any air leaking from the control I mentioned just alot of play in the arm that comes out from it.It looks like a simple repair also.

after that I found some small holes in a couple brake chamber canisters so that will be my next project.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have a freightliner with a pusher axle and "poorjoe" just replaced all of the air bags himself. It took about 20 minutes a bag. The biggest pain, I think, lol, was jacking up the rear of the truck.

All I can warn you is: make sure you get the RIGHT airbags.

If you want to speak with "poorjoe" in person, he would be happy to tell you how he did it. Just pm me and I will send you our telephone number or you can email us.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I finished the air bag job and like you said about 20 min. per side
it isnt that i didnt have the money to pay someone a fair price to do it.I realy dont like crawling under trucks on a gravel lot with no creeper.its just that when I asked for an estimate from the local shop it was 1 hour per bag and I just couldnt see paying someone $300 to take lose 16 nuts and tight em it was bad enough paying $600 for the bags in the first place.

Is it just me or does it cost everyone $1,000 everytime you visit a shop.