Age of equipment

hockeypuk

Expert Expediter
Hi all. Looking to buy a truck within a year or so. I was wondering if certain companies have restrictions on age of equipment.Also I live in central Fla and looking at a 3out 1home system is there any freight moving in and out of Fla. Trying to eliminate deadhead miles. Any help or suggestions are deeply appreciated

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I’m not mistaken, I think most companies want 7 years or less for a “D” unit, 5 years or less on all vans, and I think 7 or 8 years on “E” units. As for the 3 and 1 you lease to a company you are still your own boss, and call the shots. Some companies do have a 60 – 40 policy about being out. Or is it 65 – 35

But as we all know rules are may to be broken, and broken a company will to meet their needs at the time.

hockeypuk

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your help. I was looking at a 96 top kick w/216 clicks but since its that old and has that dreaded cat engine I think I better back off that one. Id still like to know about freight in Fl..Is it still as bad as its talked about in the archives. Thanxs to EO

G

I have researched this myself lately. I find that most of the companies will require 6 y/o or newer for "d" units. I think some may ask for "b" units to be 5 y/o or newer. A T/T can be 8 y/o or newer. My understanding is that a class 8 "d" unit might be allowed up to the 8 y/o requirement.

I would like for someone to claify this for me:
My understanding is that these requirements are when you are signing on. Once you are with a company, they may let you run the truck past the age requirement as long as it is good condition. Is this true?

In response to FL freight. I have seen several posts on here that said there was no problem getting in or out of FL. Doesn't seem to be the hot spot that the northern states are, but from what I've read, freight isn't BAD in FL.

G

btw, if you go to the company websites, most of them post age requirements there. Some will be under a link to "truck requirements".

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
"Once you are with a company, they may let you run the truck past the age requirement as long as it is good condition. Is this true?"

That statement is generally true. Many of the smaller expedite companies are more liberal when it comes to truck age. However, I would not buy a D unit more than 3-4 years old unless you have a company comitted to leasing it on with. I have noticed as it is becoming harder and harder for new drivers to purchase trucks and insurance, trucking companies have become more relaxed on the truck age requirements, as there isn't the huge supply of new trucks and drivers available as there was in the past. Companies are now having trouble finding qualified drivers with decent equipment to lease on to them, as it is much more expensive to get into expediting than it was in the past 5 years or so, and lenders aren't just giving loans to everyone who wants a truck now. Big dealerships used to be able to sell a truck to just about anyone who walked in their doors, and many of these new O/O's went bankrupt quickly, causing the market to be flooded with reposessed trucks. The banks have since wised up, but in doing so have made it tough for a new O/O to get started. They even made it tough on me when I bought my 2nd truck last year which I thought was really unfair. I can understand them wanting 20% down from a first time buyer, but not someone with 5+ years of profitable O/O experience. For any of you new people considering starting out in a newer C or D unit, you better save up a big wad of cash unless you are a member of the Rockefeller family and won't need to finance your truck. I know this may sound negative, but this fact has shattered a lot of dreams recently. You REALLY have to be financially comitted from the get-go.

As far as loads out of FL? I have got some on occasion, but usually have better luck moving north into GA. Sometimes I don't mind sitting in FL for a day or so to soak up the warmth, as I live in Buffalo. Rich might be able to give a better perspective of FL from the standpoint of one who lives there.
-Weave-

hockeypuk

Expert Expediter
Thanx Weave I really appriciate your advice and know how on the biz. I really want to learn as much as i can before i jump right in. Id like to drive for someone first but people just arnt looking for exped. drivers in Fla unless Ive missed something. Thanx again

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We don't have any problem in the FL area. We live close to daytona. Most freight comes from Orlando, Jacksonville, Ocala, or the western part. Usually Tampa or Destin. Alot of military loads.

hockeypuk

Expert Expediter
That wouldnt be bad I live in Lakeland dead between tampa and orlando thanks for the info.. by the way it was 82degrees here today not much like winter but whats new.