after reading front page on idling

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
you know with the way everything is going here with log books idling laws trucklaws throughout the country background checks for hazmat rising fuel prices that you will have to sell the farm shortly to buy fuel might be quicker just for the goverment to say park it boys & girls we do not want these big things out on our state roads anymore it is just getting more stupid everyday ,
like ok it is 95degs but no you cannot idle you need to sweat it out do not mind if i am in my nice air condition office you will not idle ok or i will give you a big fine $$$$$ i think they need to sit down & look at the big picture here WITHOUT TRUCKS AMERICA STOPS !!
WOMBAT. 35 YEARS IN TRUCKING :'( :)

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with you! We were in TX a month a go and tried the idle air system. It was pretty neat, we had internet, air and/or heat, and cable t.v. But, of course it all came with a price--20.00 to start a membership and then I think it cost around 1.50 hour. I guess it is cheeper than idling but who wants to consistantly be pumping money in those things just to stay cool? That kind of thing would have to be at every truck stop if they want us all to stop idling--but are our companies going to pay for this!? I THINK NOT! Maybe we should all go sit in the drivers lounge at the truck stops---what would they do if every truck driver in the lot wanted to come in a hang out!

Panther #5449

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
yep lets all sit down in the tv room or resturants or sit under a gum tree and watch the koalas and boomers play while we either get heat stroke or in winter freeze our ummmmmmmm off
wombat 4412

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Idleaire is expensive compared to an APU but cheap compared to idling the truck. Figuring a gallon per hour for the main engine is say $3 per hour so Idleaire is half as much. A good APU is going to run about 4 hours on a gallon so Idleaire is twice as much. You don't have the $6k up front expense but you have higher operating costs. For 16 hours you'd spend $48, $24 or $12 depending on choice. In a week your idling costs would be around $300, $150 or $75 depending on method. Those numbers would apply to a solo. Teams would theoretically see 50-60% of that amount.

Even if one figures conservatively on main engine idling at $200 weekly and that the APU is expensive at $100 weekly that $100 per week savings pays the payment on an APU and in about 18 months the payment is gone an the extra $400 a month stays in your pocket.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
IdleAire is a good solution - except there aren't nearly enough of them, and many areas don't have any at all. Maybe supply will catch up to demand, eventually, but drivers need a place to park today! And just how "rested" are they, if they are trying to sleep in an uncomfortable environment? APU's are good, but not everyone has the extra funds to get one, either.
Hanging out in the drivers' lounge will probably inspire the truckstops to invoke a 2 hotdog minimum, lol.

G

What are they going to do to the drivers that have C-pap machine's for when there sleeping. Do they think they run on battery's. If you turn the truck off and try to use one it will run the battery's down.
Not all Driver's or Owner's can just go out buy an APU. It's like a catch 22.

Hey Wombatt, where are you at? I hope you got a load out of the Motor city.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
LDB- if your facts are correct, and it sounds close, then I should buy an APU, right? Can I transfer it to a different sleeper down the road, without a major pain? What do you think of Comfortpro (former Proheat, now made/has Transicold Carrier's name on it.) Or make a recommendation. I have heard that they can be installed in KS. for about $6800...
I don't see an APU right now, and will probably put a Fantastic vent in my OEM Pete sleeper. Most nights, I think the overhead fan should do the trick for me, but doubtful for daytime sleeping.
I also gave up on the Bergstrom Nite A/C system, as it will doubtful keep one cool enough during the day, and only lasts 8-10 hours. If you use it at night, you still have to start the motor for 4-6 hours.

I have used Idle Aire, and it is worth it despite the naysayers, but only a few are available. TA seems to be investing in more new ones...

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
When i was at the MATS i talked to some people at IdleAire and was told by them that PantherII has an account with them and you can get the service for a discounted rate. Now i havent verified with any PantherII people at the event so i dont know how true this is. It should be investigated though.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Idle Air is only a fraction cheaper than Ideling. Roughly and someone will correct me about $2.50 an hour or little under so think about it 24 hours $60.00 now thats some major change cheaper to get a Motel.

I see why they have to charge that amount but an APU will really help you keep cost in line.

Roof Vents are great, but WARNING do not use them in truck stops, even if you are blowing air OUT, its only gona be DIESEL FUMES. You must park away from trucks, have a second fan inside of the truck and if the temp gets above 90F forget it its just to hot to handle. Add in any humidity and it only gets worst.

One can use this through an evening but day time forget it after 11am the sun heats up the front of the truck and only transferes the heat back to the sleeper even with window shades. But forget truck stops the diesel fumes will kill you comming through the opened side windows or sleeper windows. A second fan helps ALOT.... Just my expierence others may differ.

Another lesson to be learned, do not park below trees, I had an investation of TICKS last year find there way into my truck even with the windows up and screens in place. Little sons of XXXXX found every oportunity to enter anytime I exited the truck I must have had 10 inside, I was lucky to have a lighter to burn the little things till they pooped but was scared to death and kept finding them everywhere. Lucky they liked the windshield of the truck made it much easier to find them crawling around up there.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Appreciate that, kind of what I thought. Well, maybe the Nite A/C only, will be adequate for me. Most times sleeping in the day is limited to early pm, so Nite may be o.k. for that period. Usually I wake up by 13 or 1400 no matter what. Need to consider all the variables...APU investment seems exorbitant, since I use a cab heater already...

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I'm working on plans that involve a $700 5500watt diesel gen, dozens of them on ebay, a 60" tool box, and a rooftop a/c and heat unit. I think I'll have it all together for less than $2K.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Wisconsin will be paying up to 70% of the cost for idle reduction starting July 1. This is my first time here so I will try to puta link below.
FECC truck d6439