Aerocell DRW Owners

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
If you have an Aerocell DRW could you please tell me where your Qualcomm is mounted?

If it is mounted inside the cargo box I would like to know if you have the integral skylight roof or not.

I believe I saw an Aerocell DRW without the integral skylight, which makes the roof area thicker (more dense) and it still had the QC mounted inside the cargo box. I believe the QC signal to be strong enough to penetrate the standard Aerocell roof.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I had a DRW Aerocell that had a shelf over the cab area. I mounted the QC on that shelf and never had a problem.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I had three fiberglass roofs on Ford/Chevys, each of which was 1" of honeycomb sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass. We never had a signal strength problem. Another option to consider is a FANtastik vent. I cut a circular hole in my current roof that was slightly larger than the outside diameter of the lower half of the QC antenna caseing. I dropped the antenna into the hole and is held there by the stainless band. The vent cover is then fastened to the roof over the QC. When done with the van, I'll just lift out the antenna and close the vent cover.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Jim,

The carrier is going to mount it as a QC is required. I would rather have it mounted inside, but if they say no then Terry's set up would be my next choice.

Terry,

Yes, I liked your fan mount. You called me with the hole dimension last fall just after I bought the 2008. I believe it is 11.25 inches and I believe I made a note of the dimension. I did not have time to put the vent on my current van, but the new one will have one if I can't mount it inside.

Thanks men!

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
When I had a qualcom,it was mounted above the cab,but under the fiberglas nose of the box.It worked just fine,and I kinda liked the fact it was hidden.I still have the "van" roof mount we used up there.I also have my CB antenna there,I just use a magnet mount on the metal trim around the divider.{I also made sure it was grounded,don't know it had to be,but it was a ground so i never had a problem. Aerocell should be gone in another week or 2.Going with a Isuzu NPR day cab,keeping the dedicated medical run,can still do a little expiditing on week ends if the pay is there.more later,

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
PSS I thought you with TSCI,if so they are the ones who did my inside mount.If you wish to know why i left,E-Mail me and I will give just you the reasons why