Advise on startup

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would like to get additional info on the oil industry business that runs down south. Can anyone point me in a good place to look ?????

I'll list several of the places I currently or in the past have done business with. Most of these are based or have locations in the Houston vacinity.
In no particular order. Phone numbers are found on a simple Yahoo or Google search.

Acme
Cheetah
Lone Star
Suzy's Express
Cannonball
Jet Transport
Venture (cheap freight)

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Dave ...... what do you normally haul ?? I know it can be anything but as an example, the midwest hauls alot of automotive stuff. Also, I'm thinking straight truck. Is that area/industry pretty wide open or is it more suited for a TT or van ?? Lastly, the vendors you listed ... they are freight brokers ?? which would mean most run under their own authority or are their companies like Panther etc. that run down their ?? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any info.

macmov

Seasoned Expediter
I'll list several of the places I currently or in the past have done business with. Most of these are based or have locations in the Houston vacinity.
In no particular order. Phone numbers are found on a simple Yahoo or Google search.

Acme
Cheetah
Lone Star
Suzy's Express
Cannonball
Jet Transport
Venture (cheap freight)

Well, after some thought I am still on the fence as to what to do.Are these all Expediting companies or do they handle LTL loads also? I can see now that expediting is probably not the port-a-call I am looking for but LTL may be, for the fact that I will be trying to supplement my loads and try to work my existing business with additional LTL loads to fill my truck. My only concern at this point is How wide spread are small LTL loads and what do they pay? From what I have seen is they don't pay much and may not be worth counting on. This is a big deciding factor for me as I cover allot of ground across the country and will need LTL loads to balance out. If LTL loads are not available, cheap pay, or not enough, it may not be worth looking into.

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I can see now that expediting is probably not the port-a-call I am looking for but LTL may be, for the fact that I will be trying to supplement my loads and try to work my existing business with additional LTL loads to fill my truck. My only concern at this point is How wide spread are small LTL loads and what do they pay? From what I have seen is they don't pay much and may not be worth counting on.

This is just a suggestion, from a newbie at that, but what about coughing up the fifty bucks or whatever the cost is for the one you choose, and sign up with a load board, just to see what's there.. check it out for a month.. make some calls to find out the real rates, etc. Might give you some info to see if you think some of those might fit in with what you're already doing?