Advise on Cargo Van "vs" Staright Truck?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I could buy 2 good used vans that will last for years and have an all cash bussiness for the cost of 1 new straight truck down payment. my best month with my owned vans this year was october.
2 vans driven by one driver total gross a little of 20k total loaded miles less than 4,500 total deadhead miles less than 3,500 total run count 4 days on the road 8 nights spent in a sleeper 0.
Nights driver was in his own bed 23.

of course I just use expedites as backhauls if there just happes to be one pop up on his route back home. to many vans sitting at truckstops and walmarts to get consistant good paying freight from the selectus carriers. I am not an expediter I am an otr van that offers exclusive use Direct drive service for truckload rates and truckload fuel surcharges put together as a flat rate.

I know its the standard to tell people to drive for someone else first but if you go the cargo van route there is really no need it will burn you out working on a 60/40 split with most of the fleet owners that have a van leased on at 1 carrier that pay less than $1 per mile.Just pay cash for a van and sign it on yourself if you go the expedite carrier route.

Straight trucks are a total different ballgame and you can gross enough for a fleet owner to leave you a decent return for your efforts. plus it would give you a good insight of the lifestyle plus help you make up your mind real fast if you want to shell out that kind of dough to buy one.
but I like the standard mileage deduction for the cargo vans and no regulations seems more american to me.Scale houses just make trucking seem more like a communist state.

guido4475

Not a Member
I just look at it as far as costs to operate the two different vehicles are concerned.
Tires? What, $1,200 for a set of steers on a straight? $800 bucks for all 4 on a van. $250 bucks for a service on a straight? 50 bucks on a van using synthetic every 8,500 miles...Plates? $150.00 a year for a van. Over 600 bucks on a straight, depending on the gvw, #of axles...it could be alot more, almost $1,200... IFTA..having to pay to run in each state..(Even though most companies pay this) A van? Just go down the road. An engine? In a straight? Easily over 15 grand on the cheap side. A van? 5 grand for a gasser...Gas vs diesel? Sometimes almost 90 cents per gallon difference.Time spent getting fuel vs gas? I can pull in and gas up in 12 minutes flat.(I've timed it...lol) Anything getting fuel on the big truck side? Better not be in too much of a hurry, the driver in the fuel island in front of you may be in the shower or subway....lol...Fuel mileage? A little better in a gasser, better in a Sprinter. Gas van vs diesel? No worries about gelling up, or air lines freezing in the cold.. A service call/tow ? Ouch! for a straight, A van? AAA for 100 bucks a year...It goes on and on....Yes, Vans make a little less per mile than a straight, but although it's about how much you make, I think the more important thing is how much are you able to keep for yourself? Which vehicle has the lowest cost of operation? Enables you to have the most freedom to do what you want? Whenever you want? Sure, one day vans will be regulated, I am positive, but they are not now, and until then, I will enjoy the breath of freedom..I just regret it took me all the years of my driving career to see this.