Advise about truck purchase for training opp.

newstudent

Seasoned Expediter
An Expediter has trucks for sale and offers training and a contract with a dispatcher in Toledo after the purchase of one of his trucks. Does anyone have advice about business scams or legit offers like this. I don't know the name of the dispatcher in Toledo yet. The trucker is in Cleveland and has no complaints at the BBB.

I'd really like to break into the business under a good company but I have no prior professional driving experience. I do have a class A licence but never worked professionally. This could be my only chance to enter the field. He will train and my contract with the dispatcher is guaranteed at a good rate per mile after the purchase of the truck from the man with the plan.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
I would not buy without getting some experience. Not saying you cant drive, you just need to come out and experience this type of work before you take that dive!! If this guy is legit he will be around in a year when you get a taste for this business. If and when you do buy make sure you buy a class 8 if you go with a class 7 you will spend more money repairing it than it is worth. I have been there and made that mistake!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Being a successful owner operator,takes a lot more than experience driving a truck,especially in the expedite world.
Unless you have enough money in the bank to fall back on,if things dont work out right away,I suggest you find some owner to drive with,so you can learn the ins and outs of trucking

newstudent

Seasoned Expediter
Thanx!

This owner will include training in the purchase contract. We haven't talked about the length of time he wold train yet. The truck is an under CDL truck though. It's been overhauled 5000 miles ago but the truck has slightly over 300,000 miles on it.

He said I might have to pass up some loads because of the weight limit but there would be other loads enough to keep me running and making very good money.

The Carrier I would have a contract with pays $1.20 per mile and the owner operator keeps all the fuel surcharge. However if the truck is understaffed for the task and will be broke often I'd better think hard about that. Mayby that's why it was overhauled @ 300,000 miles.

I think I'd like the work and I need secure employment. I work on contract and have moved almost every year for a new job. In this economy I could be unemployed for a year or more if and when my current job ends.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This could be my only chance to enter the field.

Why is that?

He will train and my contract with the dispatcher is guaranteed at a good rate per mile after the purchase of the truck from the man with the plan.

Sounds like the "man with the plan" is also the man with the strings in his hand. I provide for you the definition of marionette courtesy of Wikipedia:

A marionette (Leasee) is a puppet controlled from above using wires or strings (wires being the standard now due to increased durability). A marionette's puppeteer is called a manipulator (Lessor) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marionette#cite_note-0Marionettes are operated with the puppeteer hidden or revealed to an audience by using a vertical or horizontal control bar in different forms of theaters or entertainment venues. They have also been used in films and on television.

I think I'd like the work and I need secure employment.
You ain't going to find secure employment as a contractor. Especially in a lease/purchase agreement. You need to do a truckload of research before you make a commitment.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It sounds to me like it is a class 7 or maybe a class 6 truck. Probably has a small sleeper to save the weight.
I would recommend that you drive for a fleet owner until you figure out what this business is like.
We drove three different trucks for 2 different owners over 15 months before we decided to buy our own. We are now learning all the things that owners have to know that we didn't have to worry about as contract drivers.
A class 8 truck is built and designed to run and last longer. Our 2006 Freightliner Columbia had 618,000 miles when we bought it and runs like it is brand new.
Do your research and if possible try it before you buy it.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like a class 7 to me, too. and or a hino. I'd run far and as fast as I could away from that "deal". Also like all the other posters here, drive for someone before you buy your own truck. Get the "feel" for the work. Every single time the economy tanks people see the backbone of the country working, and think Hey I could do that. Takes a different sort of person to put up with all the inconsistenties (sp) in this business. It is not all bright lights and glitter! Sounds to me like the owner has decided that I can't find anyone else to run this boat, so I'll sell it. But, I suppose you will read into all our statements what you will. If your h*ll bent for leather, and just 'Know" you can do this job.... take the contract to a lawyer of YOUR choosing, take the truck to a mechanic of YOUR choosing, and listen to what they tell you, sign all your property into someone else's name, and we will see you on the road, hopefully driving along side us, not sitting on the side of the road, dead as a squished bug on your windsheild.

newstudent

Seasoned Expediter
Thanx again,

I would be an owner operator not a contractor. I would owe about $10,000 on the truck and the man would carry the financing. If I worked enough miles and payed the truck off fast I'd be independent.

However, entering the field as a driver of a company truck could be a way to learn the ropes and see if I liked the life. Thanx for the advise Andrew, jjoerger, nightcreacher, & moot. Little steps! Driving for a fleet owner first sounds like the best plan to learn as I go.

Like Andrew0580 says, if he's legit he'll be around in a year. Working a company truck I would see what Andrew & jjoerger say about the undersized trucks.

What should I expect to find for a good mileage pay rate as a company driver for a fleet owner?

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
40\60 split u get 40 owner gets 60.As a newbie this will help u.Owner pays for everything.Tolls,fuel repairs etc.... you want the owner to pay for fuel if truck dosn't have an APU! Are u running team or solo.Most fleet owners want teams only.Truck should get at least $1.20 per mile.Take everyones advice,drive for a fleet owner first!