advice! i am starting tommorow

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Good luck bro!

My only good advice would be to not get discouraged. If you try to think positively, you will do just fine.

There are tons of discouraging things that can happen to you in this business, but the good things will make you forget about much of the bad.

Scott

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Get a good nights sleep; take afternoon naps to prepare for the 5pm, overnight run. Keep your fuel tanks full. Get a frequent fueler card from your favorite fuel stop (I like Flying J for the free showers and coffee with two 20 gal fills). As you travel to different cities, stop at the major grocery stores and get a frequent shopper card from each of them. These are good for discounted foodstuffs which you'll often enjoy. Keep a good ledger of all your expenditures noting date and place of all purchases and times you leave and return home. Carry proof of citizenship. Get a good highway map. (I'm often amazed how many don't have good maps) Save a percentage of every settlement check. etc., etc., etc. Have fun and don't get discouraged; the good times are just ahead.

Terry

Dave Johnson

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since you're in a van, take every run offered for the first few weeks. Don't be like some of the 'experienced' drivers who only want the long runs. Take them all. You can't run out of hours, so take that short one, and be ready for a long one. Sleep every chance you get so you'll be awake when you need to be.

Run it like ya stole it!

Dave

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
good advice to follow. I am signing with a flat rate pay company (no matter what, I get .77 a mile in a van) so long or short, does not matter. I'll probably always take everything thrown at me unless I am spent to the point I fear safety is at risk.